Taming down Kidd's raised by dams

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Jarrod & Jody, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Jarrod & Jody

Jarrod & Jody Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    i know 90% of goat owners that show or gather milk, pull kidds from their dams and bottle feed. I particularly don’t like to bottle feed unless it’s absolutely necessary, not that it’s to much work, I just feel the kidds do better when allowed to nurse from their dam. They seem healthier and bigger to me. My only issue is trying to tame down the kidds. I understand being with them everyday and loving on them and spending time with them makes a difference, and I know it will be easier when there weened and I separate the dam from them. Dose anyone have any suggestions? Tips?

Treva Brodt likes this.
  2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I dam raise quite a few - my clients all say they are like puppies following them around. I cannot stress enough having a pen for the dam, being there at birth, offering a first bottle milked from dam, and spending tons of time. When I milk moms - am and pm I have the kids out with her... they tend to climb in my lap and the milk stand. I do have separate pens for all my mamas until 4 weeks of age.

3. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    My dams are in there own pen, one kidd is very more used to
    Me then the other. But one of them come from a very long line of head strong does! Like great grand dam down, they just dislike being messed with. But my main one that for sure will be a show doe is the easier one.

4. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    And my breed is Nubian and they have always seemed to be an easier breed to tam.

5. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I have Nubians - just really depends. I notice a big difference in kids that have calm mamas. But all can be very sweet with work.

Jubillee and Jarrod & Jody like this.
  6. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Do you recommend a snack by hand? To treat them when they come to me? And what kind of snack.

Treva Brodt likes this.
  7. I second what goatbleessings said. Be there at birth. Handle the kid a lot the first few days. If mom is skittish, baby will be skittish usually.

A couple years ago I had 3 dams in one pen and they all had their babies in that pen. I was there for each birth and we went out and played with babies multiple times a day. Took them to the milk stand as well. They never had treats, only milk. You could go sit in the pen and all 4 babies jump all over you like a jungle gym. You just have to take the time to mess with them multiple times daily. Usually if that first week you are there constantly, they'll love you like mama.

8. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Active Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I just do the same as everyone else. You have to spend the time with them. I have a few dam-raised Boer X that are very tame and will follow me around like any of my other bottle babies.

Treva Brodt and Jarrod & Jody like this.
  9. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Thank y’all so much I’m doing the right thing then!

GoofyGoat and Jubillee like this.
  10. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    All of ours are dam raised. We just spend a lot of time with them. We try to hold and pet everyone each day. They definitely take after their dams though. We had a skittish mini Nubian and her kids were much harder to get used to us than the others. Eventually we won them over, then they left for their new homes.

If you have a dam that is hard to handle and won’t let you near her, and you want calm and friendly kids, you may be best off bottle feeding.

11. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Spend loads of time with them. Our dam raised are just as nutty as the bottle babies for attention. All loud and in your business. But our does are all pretty mellow and spoiled as well and that helps. Their dams teach them that the humans are good and safe just as much as our voice and touch do to them.

A lot of people that show pull the kids and bottle them to keep that udder nice and even and pretty for showing.

12. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    I agree. I do show, and I do bottle raise. But we have dam raised too.
    You can have sweet goats while dam raising. :) And yes, you can still show! You need to watch and keep the udder even.

Spend a LOT of time with the kids. Try to be there for the birth. Allow the dam to bond with the kid but you can still help clean it. Handle them FROM BIRTH. Pick them up everyday until they are too large to do so. Snuggle them. Play with their long floppy ears :) Talk to them. Sit with them. Let them lay in your lap.

Treva Brodt and Damfino like this.
  13. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We raise Boer goats, but it's no difference when wanting to tame kids. The spending time with them is the big key. Having dams who are friendly and not wild or skittish definitely is another major factor.

We've had random bottle babies over the years. Currently we have '1' in our herd that was bottle raised. We have 11 does, and you would not be able to go out and pick out the bottle brat (haha) IMO without knowing who she was. They are all friendly, they all know their names, come when called, and generally will answer you if you do call them. 4 were purchased, the rest born here.

We are present for every kidding with the exception of a couple who tricked us! Even if they don't need help, we get in there and rub on babies, we help them nurse, we talk to them, and kind of 'imprint' them. We go out in their early days and handle them, yes snuggling is part of it (the fun part!), play with them, and lots of petting and talking. It just really is the best way to make them friendly.
    I can see with a large herd it being difficult, not sure how to handle that, other than just pick a group to work with one day, and work with the other the next, and make it routine to mess with them. Catch them, rub on them, baby talk, etc.
    When they start eating feed, make a creep feeder, lock all the kids in the creep feeder and just go through and mess with them, pet on them or whatever.

toth boer goats and Treva Brodt like this.
  14. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    You can show and dam raise, you do need to watch udders. I will still milk out 2x a day keeping udders even, that being said, anything over 2 gets pulled and bottle raised. Time, time and more time - I don't usually use snacks - I don't like mouthy goats - but my girls will come up for attention, back scratching and lots of rubs - feels oh so good.

Jubillee likes this.
  15. Treva Brodt

Treva Brodt Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2019
    West Union, Ohio
    Animal (and human) behavior is shaped by conditioning. Reward the behavior you want to encourage. I only bottle feed out of necessity. Much to my husband’s disbelief, I have tamed an older Alpine doe. She came from an Amish farm so there’s no doubt she was ever handled before she came to me. I spend time with my goats when I feed, I’m kind and fair, and I carry treats. Being there when kids are born and having them in a pen where you can engage in play with the kids in the presence of the dam produces kids that are as tame as bottle babies.

goatblessings, HMNS and Iluvlilly! like this.
  16. Jellybelly

Jellybelly Active Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Indiana
    We have boer and this spring we had a doeling born. Mom is a psycho and hates people. I would just love on the baby a little every day. Mom would just stand back and watch. Now the baby is so loving, mom still a psycho.