Tapeworms and barber pole?

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by littlespot101, Sep 30, 2018.

1. littlespot101

littlespot101 Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Hello everyone-

I have battled with barber pole worms all summer. Now I see tapeworms as well! I really have not seen much sign of tapes in the nannies, just in the kids which were born in June. Any day now we'll be getting a nice hard freeze and I'll deworm them all I think is best.

My question is... what dewormer(s) should i use?? There are too many to treat with horse dewormer. Is there any other dewormer that will kill both tapes and barberpoke? Valbazen worked to get rid of tapes for me the last time. Prohibit has worked well against barber pole. I think I have to give two different classes but want to ask in case I'm missing something!

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Valbazen for tapes, and I've heard of prohibit working as well as cydectin for barberpole. I also suggest ordering some herbal dewormer, my favorite for treating ALL kinds of worms is Land of Havilah's herbal dewormer. Although, Fir Meadow LLC has two formulas, DWormA would treat the tapes, and GI Soother should work for the barberpole. But if you want to get them out with a single supplement it would be Land of Havilah's. Also try to give them some garlic daily. If you crush it you can just mix it in with their feed daily. 1 clove per goat, half a clove for goats under 6 months old. :)

littlespot101 likes this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. littlespot101

littlespot101 Member

Oct 2, 2017
    If nannies aren't showing sign of tapeworms, do you think it would be fine to give only the kids Valbazen? And give everyone Prohibit? I'll run fecals before and after but I haven't dealt much with tapeworms to know how hard to get rid of.

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It can't hurt to treat with the herbs and garlic for them, but never give chemical dewormers without running a fecal first.

6. MtnRidgeFarm

MtnRidgeFarm Active Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Northern California
    If you have goats that aren't showing signs, then do not worm those goats! :)

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is best to treat everyone to try to stop the cycle. If one has it, they all can have it and some just not showing the segments in stool yet.
    When worming, it may show in the stool after treatment.

If you can move them out of the area into a new one for a while, would be best, but I do know, most of us do not have that option.

Be sure to treat properly.

You are correct in saying tapes are hard to get rid of.

littlespot101 likes this.
  8. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I was recently asked about tape worms and I have never had to deal with them so I googled it lol anyways no the does do not need to be treated. Usually tape is only a issue with kids and then usually around 6 months then they are old enough to start fighting them off and keeping them under control.......USUALLY. From what I remember there was a odd cycle to them. Let me see if I can find that article again.

9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    mariarose likes this.
  10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am just now seeing this. I don't know what area you are in, but I'm in Kentucky and Valbazen is not effective against tapeworm. I know people claim it still works in some areas, but I won't ever use it for tapeworm again. I did 3 days with correct weight/dosage, and again 10 days later for another 3 days. Nada.

Instead... I prefer and I also recommend using Quest Plus horse paste or Equimax horse paste for Tapeworm. Both have an active ingredient called Praziquantel and it kills tapes. You'll know it worked within 6-8 hours as they will start to expel dead worms.

Now... since your dealing with Barberpole… If Cydectin is still effective in your area -
    Quest and cydectin are the same active ingredient -Moxidectin- So, the Quest should take care of the Barberpole worm.

We treat 3x a horse dose. So, a 50lb goat gets 150lbs. of dewormer. Repeat in about 10 days. 10 days after that you can check fecal to make sure it worked. If not, then you'll know you need to use a secondary dewormer to wipe out the Barberpole (I believe my friend just used Prohibit successfully for BP).

toth boer goats likes this.