The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some trouble with worms. I purchased valbazen last week and dosed a doe and she seems to be doing better. My question now is I had a 6 month old buckling with horrible scours on Tuesday. I gave him valbazen and started treating for cocci just in case. His poop is starting to harden up today and I noticed that tapeworms are now coming out with the poop. This is the first time I have dealt with tapeworms. Do I need to do anything special such as worming him everyday for so many days or follow up in 10 days.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
How much Valbazen did you give him? It should be dosed at 1cc per 10 lbs.

I would do a follow up dose in 10 days.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
for tape worms Valbazen needs to be done 3 days in a row..1 cc per 10#

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it unusual to see that many tapeworms in their poo? They are still coming out in it today. His poo started hardening up yesterday but is runny again today. I have been giving him electrolytes as well.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
They can have a lot and that would contribute to any growth issues he may have or unthriftiness..many dont take tape worm as serious as other worm issues..but should.
You can certainly do another round in ten days..with as many as he seems to have might be good.
A bit of pepto will help dry him bum as the wormer does its work...sometimes they can be runny a few days...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They can have a lot and that would contribute to any growth issues he may have or unthriftiness..many dont take tape worm as serious as other worm issues..but should.
You can certainly do another round in ten days..with as many as he seems to have might be good.
A bit of pepto will help dry him bum as the wormer does its work...sometimes they can be runny a few days...
Thanks! I forgot to tell you this is the same little guy that you helped me save a few months ago.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
What are you actually seeing in his poo? If it's the rice shaped segments, those are egg pouches NOT tapeworms. When you actually get the worms to detach they will be very long and mucusy. Tapeworms do not hatch inside the body. To get rid of them, you must get rid of the mites that are their host.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Yes like fleas are the source of tape in dogs and cats..mites is the source of tape in goats..:D Be sure to rake up any poo with tape or tape eggs in them...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are you actually seeing in his poo? If it's the rice shaped segments, those are egg pouches NOT tapeworms. When you actually get the worms to detach they will be very long and mucusy. Tapeworms do not hatch inside the body. To get rid of them, you must get rid of the mites that are their host.
It's tapeworms. They are long and mucusy.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
It would be a good idea...I owuld use ivomec 3 times one week apart works for mites...1 cc per 40# Sub Q.. the enviorement needs to be cleaned as well..since mites can live a few days off the host..If their is bald ichy raw spots the the infestation is bad and a powder or spray may be helpful along with the ivomec...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would be a good idea...I owuld use ivomec 3 times one week apart works for mites...1 cc per 40# Sub Q.. the enviorement needs to be cleaned as well..since mites can live a few days off the host..If their is bald ichy raw spots the the infestation is bad and a powder or spray may be helpful along with the ivomec...
He doesn't have any bald or raw spots. I hadnt seen any worms in his poo for a few days but today he had them all over his butt and in his poo. I thought they would be gone by now. I've never dealt with this kind of thing before.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Yah...looks like hes still dealing with them ...when was his last treatment...?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
The mites that carry tapes aren't on your animal. They are the mites that cause grass rash when you lay in the grass. The goats eat them when they graze too close to the ground or they can be in your hay.
During the winter, putting your next bale of hay out where it can freeze and kill them will help a lot. Spraying your hay storage area while it's empty helps also. We throw handsfuls of trace mineral salt on the hay as we are storing it. Does 2 things. Keeps the hay from heating up and molding and drives the mites away.
Doing a tapeworm prevention program will help them build immunity as a kid. Mostly adult goats fight them off with no problem once they have built immunity.

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
So if I understand the previous threads you treat with a specific type of wormer (valbazen, panacure, zimectrin gold) to get rid of the internal worms and THEN also treat for the mites which are external?

Isn't that a lot of wormer for the goats? What do you do to help the goats deal with all these chemicals?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
The mites that carry tapes aren't on your animal.
Interesting, ive never heard this ...I only know three kinds of mite, all three are on the goats...what kind are the ones in the hay?

So if I understand the previous threads you treat with a specific type of wormer (valbazen, panacure, zimectrin gold) to get rid of the internal worms and THEN also treat for the mites which are external?

Isn't that a lot of wormer for the goats? What do you do to help the goats deal with all these chemicals?
For tape you need a white wormer..you need to treat for three days in a row..for mites, you need an injectable wormer..in real bad cases some recommend the help of external dusting or sprays, usually the ivomec injected does the job, once a week for 3 weeks...Other worms are treated once unless its heavy loaded then some do a 3 times 10 days apart, other wise best to worm only as needed..fecals are our best defence against worms so we only worm against the parasite our goats carries..
If I have a goat with Barpole worm and mites..the mite treatment will take care of both....ect...I agree with your worry about chemical build up..this is why we always encourage worm only as needed and dont underdose ..dont feed medicated feed ect...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts