The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Valbazen is 1 cc per 10 pound given 3 days in a row for tape worm. I prefer Equamax horse paste with praziquantel for older kid goats...gets tape better.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi there, I had to battle tapeworms as well this summer. Another member posted this chart for me in a thread and I found it really useful. It’s also interesting to have a fecal done 10-14 days after treatment to see how things went. If you use oral fenbendazole, you might have to re-treat. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Its the praziquantel in the Equamax that gets the tape worm. Works very well. Dose is 3 times the horse dose

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm going to try this also! Just picked up a tube for my boy that is having some stubborn tape worms. So you just triple what it says ?

"This syringe contains sufficient paste to treat one 1320-lb horse at the recommended dose rate of 91 mcg ivermectin per lb (200 mcg/kg) and 0.68 mg praziquantel per lb (1.5 mg/kg) of body weight. Each weight marking on the syringe plunger delivers enough paste to treat 220 lb (100 kg) of body weight."

So if he weighs about 50 lbs... that would be a super small dose on that syringe, about half of a weight marking I believe. How are you measuring that out (assuming I'm reading your instructions correctly)

Its the praziquantel in the Equamax that gets the tape worm. Works very well. Dose is 3 times the horse dose

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
At 50 pounds..treat as if hed 150 pounds. There is a large margin of safety so doing the 200 pound mark should be fine. Each 220 notch treats a 73 pound goat..1/2 notch treats 36 5 pounds and so forth

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Normally first sign we see is little white rice **** worms or wide flat ribbon worms in poop. Other outward signs maybe pot belly with skinny hips and shoulder

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One more question..I treated them on Wednesday,.. when do I need to retreat them?. I'm still seeing worms. I used Equimax.. I used about 1/4 of a notch. They are 25 lbs. Does this sound right for the dosage?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts