Taste change as a goat ages?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by TheGnarledStump, Jan 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TheGnarledStump

TheGnarledStump New Member

Jan 21, 2018
    This is my first post- I am currently milking three does and noticed my milk was tasting slightly goaty. I dislike this very much! Tonight I narrowed it down to which goat it was, and she's the goat I've been milking since the start (3 years). Can the taste change as they age? They're Nigerian Dwarf and she's not even 4 years old, no signs of mastitis, but I'll be testing with strips tonight.
    Any stories are welcome.
    Thank you

2. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    There shouldn't be any changes in milk taste due to age. 3 years is a short span in a milker's life! It could be due to something she's eating that the others aren't or, perhaps, a lack of particular mineral.

Kath G. and TheGnarledStump like this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you copper bolus?

TheGnarledStump likes this.
  4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    What all are you giving for minerals?

5. Do you have a buck near her?

6. TheGnarledStump

Jan 21, 2018
    That's what I thought. We're in a very northern climate, so our girls are inside for the winter, all contained and with a non gmo textured ration, good hay and loose mineral and soda available at all times.

7. TheGnarledStump

Jan 21, 2018
    I give them a loose mineral for goats with copper in it, unsure of the brand name

8. TheGnarledStump

Jan 21, 2018
    No- I never drink the milk when we have the buck, I really dislike the taste. We keep a buck for two months and then sell him.

9. TheGnarledStump

Jan 21, 2018
    I make sure at all times they have soda, a loose mineral with copper and a salt block. Plus they're on a good quality dairy goat ration

10. ksalvagno

Most of the time, a loose mineral is not enough. Most of us have to supplement copper and selenium in addition to a good loose mineral.

11. TheGnarledStump

Jan 21, 2018
    Tonight I did a very thorough check, udder looks great, did a dip test for mastitis, negative. My milking routine is very sanitary, immediate filtration.
    The only thing I wonder is when her kids were weaned about two months ago she got a pretty bad cut on her ear. I had seven kids this season (bottle feeding) so this is really just the start of us consuming the milk- could such an injury and her body's response to it have altered the taste of her milk?

12. TheGnarledStump

Jan 21, 2018
    Ok, so even one with copper added is not enough? And recommendations on brand names for these would be much appreciated. Hopefully I can find them in Canada.

13. ksalvagno

Copasure is the copper bolus I buy. It is for cattle. You can make multiple boluses with one cattle bolus.

14. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    I agree, mineral issue, also consider getting them a blue cobalt block. A buck even running with the does does not cause goatie milk, your hands may smell like a buck but your milk should still be good.

15. TheGnarledStump

Jan 21, 2018
    Thank you! They do normally have a cobalt block, but it was stolen for the cows. I'll replace it asap! And figure out our copper numbers. Everyone has been a great help. I'll update hopefully when I have this issue turned around.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All great advice.

Welcome to TGS. :)

17. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Could you post a photo of the doe?

18. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

I have a LaMancha doe named Mama, when she cycles her milk is very goaty and stays that way for about 3-4 days, it tastes best about 2 weeks before her cycle and lasts about 4-5 days then goes normal until her cycle, story- Mama had a retained placenta and got antibiotics after kidding, I don't drink the milk for at least a week after kidding because the colostrum tastes bad, when she was done with the antibiotics (and milk with hold) she was still on daily B complex shots, her milk was yellow but boy that was the sweetest milk I have ever had. story 2- food will change the milk flavor a lot, mesquite beans give the milk a mild sweet flavor, whole peanuts give the milk a super creamy thicker pudding like flavor, lacking minerals/vitamins will affect the milk for the worse, somewhere I read breeds like Toggenbergs where bred to naturally have a B vitamin deficiency to make there milk stronger for cheese, now I don't know if that is true as I have never had a Togg to experiment with.

19. NicoleV

NicoleV Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2015
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I've noticed a slightly goaty taste in milk when I over grain a doe and she gets clumpy and soft stool. It goes away as soon as her stool is back to normal. But this only happens to does that are sensitive to grain. I have some that can eat a lot with no problems and some that can only handle a little. It sucks when it's time to trim hooves because the grain sensitive does end up over grained because it's hard to keep then still enough to do a good job on their feet with out giving then some grain.

20. TheGnarledStump

Jan 21, 2018

Attached Files: