Tatoo Help please...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by shadycreekgoats, Sep 24, 2009.

1. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I am tattooing my first buckling. I have a "load" of questions. :slapfloor: :)

1. What size of pliers? 3/8" or 5/16"?? :shrug:
    2. Can I just get specif numbers & letters?
    3. What can I get them for cheap?
    Sorry for all the questions... :oops: Thanks for any advice!! :hug:

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    1. I use 5/16" on my eared goats but thats because I use that size on my LaManchas, when they get older it can be kind of small to read in the ear, 3/8" tattoos are really easy to read.
    2. Yes
    3. Hoeggers has them for a good price.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with sarah...she is right........on all 3 :wink: :greengrin:

That is perfectly fine......NP ask all you want.... :wink: :greengrin: :hug:

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I like the 5/16 the best. it is smaller, but on all whethers in washington they have to be tattooed with WA in front of the herd tattoo for scrapie. The 5/16 has five digit slots, the 3/8 only has four. My herd name is three letters, with the larger tattoo pliers i would have to line up two different tattoos.
    About getting letters, you can order single digiets, but its more epensive that way. If you are going to do a lot of tatooing in the future you might as well get the whole thing. I got two sets of pliers, this way i can have my herd tattoo set in one, and i only have to chenge the numbers in the other. Instead of in between each ear and each goat.
    Hints and tips: Green ink works best. I put ink on first with a toothbrush. Line your tatoo up and squeeze as hard as you can. make sure you have someone strong to hold the goat, or a box. I find the deeper the easier to read, especially on dark ears. After you squeeze more ink over the tatoo. And dont wipe any ink out. I keep getting comments on how easy my goats tattoos are to read.
    beth

5. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Thank you all!! :grouphug: I will order them tomorrow. :)