The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many of you say you use the small animal kit from jeffers.... the reviews seems to be half and half. The nay sayers like the stone kit.

So anyone have experience with either or both? Tell me bout it please. Which would you choose? And why?

Also. I know two would be easiest... but after my vet bill from disbudding and other stuffs i can either get two of the jeffers one or one of the stone right now. If the stone one is better i can just deal with havin one this time. I would rather deal with it for now and appreciate a good tool vs hatin the other. Kwim? Paul and i do understand spendin a bit more for good tools IS usually worth it in the end. But i didn’t know if there is a huge difference in the two. Thanks!

·
8,393 Posts
Caprine supply sells a rotating head tattoo kit. On one side you can put the Farm initials and the other side, (the only one that that needs changed with every goat) put the ID numbers and letters.

I bought extra letters, I believe it only comes with numbers. I think, but not sure, it uses Stone numerals and letters.

For Lamanchas, it doesn't work well.

·
14,802 Posts
I definitely recommend getting something with a rotating head vs. having to buy 2 sets.
We bought the set from Jeffers for standard size goats (Boer) years ago (2011), and I really like it. Works well, easy to use and clean. I don't like the ink that came with my set, it was black. Definitely prefer the green. The kind I have is a roll on, but I know there is a paste as well.

Not sure what a stone set is. Never looked beyond what we have since it works well for us. But definitely consider rotating head, it will make life much easier.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have the house brand one from Hoegger's, they had a special that came with two pliers; can leave one with herd name tattoo on it, the other gets changed. I have liked it just fine and no problems with it, and I do like not having to set it up two times- though the rotating head would do that as well, that was the "runner up" option I had researched at the time, a few years back now. I did have some of the letters come with blunted ends; instead of nice sharp points they were just kinda curved over. Ouch! So I'd recommend, whatever set you get, look through all the letters and numbers carefully before calling the order good. OTOH Hoegger's replaced the defective letters, no questions asked.
Ditto on the roll on ink being not nearly as good as the paste.

Oh and styrofoam makes a really good little stash for letters and numbers. In a tackle box, to keep everything together and somewhat clean. Unless you like looking through a pile of little sharp pokey things that all look alike...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts