The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
14,802 Posts
I was told for the large breeds such as boer, and nubians, etc. to use 3/8ths. I am looking to get a tattoo kit soon too, probably from Jeffers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tattoo Kits for every shape and size are there to help beginners start tattooing. In this paper, we discuss what to expect with a tattoo kit and type of equipment available in these products.

Tattoo Kits

·
14,802 Posts
We are only tattooing a few goats at most, and plan to get the inexpensive kit at Jeffers too...

Thanks for that link Gregg, I saved it to my favorites folder!

·
Registered
179 Posts
ohh, I just spent $56 for the 3/8" kit from Hoeggers. I didn't even get it yet :( It comes with a nice carrying case, but not worth that much. Didn't even know about Jeffers, only have a Hoeggers and Caprine catalogs. I waited almost a year to finally order it. I guess I should have waited another week...or asked all of you first.

·
14,802 Posts
Can someone explain to me about revolving head vs. no revolving head? This is all new, but we'll be doing it within the next week!

·
14,802 Posts
liz said:
The revolving head allows you to use both your herd tattoo as well as the birth year/number without having to change out the pieces, you just roll it around when you do the second ear.
Thanks! I'm glad you explained this because we were just going to get the 'other' one....this one sounds more to my liking! :)

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Check eBay too. I got my tattoo kit used. I did was sanitize it and the numbers/letters with rubbing alcohol when it arrived.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I ended up getting the Small Animal Tattoo kit from Jeffers...included was digits 0-9 and ALL letters, 5/16 size which is perfect for ND and Pygmy ears...I did get it with the ear release and it costs $34.95 with black ink. It's worked great for me and I use rubbing alcohol to sanitize.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
We have the small animal tattoo kit from Jeffers...well actually two. One for our herd tattoo and one for the kid numbers that way I don't have to switch them around. Just a note on the revolving pliers, apparently they can be a pain because they don't stay secure and can move when you're clamping down...that's just what I read somewhere...maybe that isn't right or has improved, but make sure to read reviews on them if possible just to be sure. :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts