tattoo pens?!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Jan 6, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well. looking up rabbit tattoo kits i came upon these http://bunnyrabbit.com/price/tattoo.htm

A website for battery operated tattoo pens, could i use them on the goats and the rabbits? anyone tried these, they seem (WAY) easier than with the pliers, and i can't ever get a tattoo to stay, even with the baking soda and multiple tutorials and mentor help.

any thoughts?

2. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    My sons each have a rabbitry as well as their goats. They enjoy the show circuit LOL. Needless to say I spend A LOT of time tattooing between rabbits and goats LOL.
    The tattoo pen is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better. You can use it on both the rabbits and the goats. They make a MUCH clearer tattoo and stay 10 times longer. I've had to retattoo ones done with pliers but have never had to reatattoo ones done with the pen. Also if you buy India Ink, instead of what comes standard with tattoo pliers and the pens, you'll find your tattoos will last 10 times as long. You can find the India Ink online or in the calligraphy aisle of your craft stores. Bunnyrabbit.com has it too if you buy your pen from them. That's one of my favorite sites to shop on for rabbit stuff.
    I was giggling at you talking about tattooing yourself because next to the tattoo pens it says "not for human use" :ROFL: Apparently you aren't the only one who has had that idea LOL!

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Interesting!

I dont know what it is about Boer ears, I can tattoo cattle, sheep, angora and dairy goats and 10 to 12 yrs later that tattoo is still clear as a bell. I can tattoo a boer goat and 2 yrs later you can only see one or two little green dots

:scratch:

I feel your pain (and I feel the goats pain, literally cos I accidently tattooed myself not that long ago :oops: )

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I had seen those a while ago but I wasn't sure about them. So do they actually last a really long time? Like a human tattoo? I have LaManchas so I have to tattoo tails and sometimes I don't get the letters in their tails all the way so I have to go back with a sewing needle and poke a hole there. A pen would be so much easier.

I think I'll stick with the experts if I want a tattoo, I can't hardly draw I'd probably end up with some weird looking smiley face on my arm :ROFL:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    LOL. that's great sarah.

well...i'm pretty interested to see how they write, i really want one now, i can never get the tat to stay, it dissapears in two weeks. and i really dont want them to hate me for tattooing them weekly.

so i think i'll try it out..

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So you just "write" the letters as a tattoo artist would do on a person??

7. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I don't know if I could use the pen... :shrug:

1- I would have to have a very steady hand and I get too nervous when doing anything hurtful to the goats.
    2- how would I keep them still long enough to be able to write eligable letters and numbers.
    3- I would think it would take much longer than just a quick pinch by the plier type tattooer.

So I don't know if they would be a real advantage over the plier type tattooer or not. But you could make some pretty neat tattoo's on your goaties though. LOL :shades:

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That sounds interesting, I will be tattooing for the first time when Binky delivers her kids in March...I'm nervous enough about hurting them let alone having to re-do it!

9. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    Yes you just write the letter and numbers out freehand. It's very easy actually. It does take more time of course but it's well worth it. I do my rabbits at 4 weeks old and they just sit in my lap and let me tattoo all I want. It's LESS painful then the tattoo pliers and the tattoo stays 10 times as long which means no re-tattooing :) I have 4 year olds whose tattoos look like they were just done but the ones done with the pliers need to be redone because you can barely see them. I like the pen MUCH better but that's just me. You can buy the EZ Tat or RabbiTat first and see if you like doing them that way. I think they're around $50.00. The electric ones get up into the 100's so you might wanna buy something cheaper first to make sure you like it. I know once I did my first pen tattoo there was no going back to the pliers!

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Now do you think that the goats being in the dirt would get it wore off faster?

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I showed this to my DH and even though he usually doesn't have much to do with my goats he was wondering if the kids would have a problem with the constant buzzing of the pen...especially being that close to the ear. Right now with my 2 black nigi's I can't even see their tat's one is 3 1/2 years old and the other is 1 1/2 years...if anyone decides to try this before the ed of March, please post about it as I don't want to make a purchase and not be able to use it....also, would this type of tattoo be allowable/recognized with the registries?

12. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    All of my goats are registered with the ADGA and they've been done with the pen so I know they don't care how its done as long as it's done. My rabbits are all ARBA registered and have been done with it also. I know quite a few people who do their goats with the pen and they are all registered too. I live in the middle of the desert and have not had any problems with the dirt making them wear off any faster. My goats are never in a barn. I've never had a problem with the buzzing bothering them either. The pens are pretty quiet actually and if you're worried about the noise you can buy just a tattoo pen that isn't electric or battery powered. You just dip the needle in ink and start writing. :)

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my goats are wimps .. i tried it.. but it didn't work... good thig i practiced on a wether

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How long does it take with the pen...I've never even done a tattoo so I was wondering the difference between the plier and pin hole method and the "writing" method.

15. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    It depends on how good you are at it LOL. With the pliers you just clamp and it's done but with the pen it depends on how long it takes you to write it out. It probably takes me a minute to a minute and a half on each ear. I'm picky about them though and try and get them as "perfect" as I can.

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Looks like I'll be getting one of the battery operated pens, it comes with he black ink but since it's possible I'll be getting blac kids from Binky,I'll also need to get the green ink....do you think the white or yellow would work and not fade in a dark eared goatie?

17. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    I've never used anything other than green for the goats and black for my rabbits. I thought about using the white too but have been told by quite a few people that it doesn't quite work like we picture it would so I never tried it.

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Cool, and Thank you! Hmmmm.....Guess once I get it I can practice on my un registered goaties to get the feel of it. So when the time comes for the registered ones, I should have it down!

19. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    You're very welcome Liz. I hope it works for you as well as it does for me :) If you have unregistered goats that you can practice on then go at it! Practice makes perfect!

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    do these guys have a magazine or catalog?

i cant find it on their site...anyone want to send me an old issue if you have one?