The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I for sure waited way too long to order all the stuff and get it all done, but its done! I am SO relieved! Now I can get Salt, and which ever other buckling I keep, and Saffie appraised next year :D I would love to do the adult does, as none of them were tattooed when I bought them, and I didnt understand the importance of it when pepper was born, so shes not done either. I would need to buy a bunch of different letters, and have the help of a strong man or 2 to restrain them, but maybe someday!

Next year I am doing it way sooner. What is the youngest you can tattoo nigerian dwarfs? It took 3 of us to restrain them today, and it was pretty rough on all of us, mostly for the babies of course.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
To tell you the truth, the later you do it, the better chance of it not wearing off. I wouldn't do it any sooner than 2 weeks old though.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can deal with doing it at 3-4 weeks old. These guys are 10-11 weeks old and the boys are getting really strong at this age! Lol.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, they are registered. I am really glad to have it done and over with. I am buying a 2nd tattooer for next year so I don't have to mess with switching out the digits to do each ear, will just have them set up and WHAM BAM get both ears done in a second :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
It can be done at birth once you clean them off, or it can be done whenever you feel like doing it. They can be tattooed as adults, kids, in between those ages, and newborn.
I personally do it at 2-4 weeks, sometimes 8 weeks. Rarely 12 weeks. I have had to tattoo adults as well.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We go to our vet's house down the street. She hands me the meds, and I puts them under. She disbuds the kids while I tattoo. They still scream though, which makes me feel so bad. :( At least they seem to forget about it all once they wake up! Just a bad dream with lingering brain pain. :)

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
I did our Lamancha kid at 3 months. We just put her on the milk stand and it was easy peasy to do her tail web. She didn't scream and we were done in record time!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I've had to do my adult does.

Which do y'all prefer though, the clamp kind that you slide the letters/numbers in or the "pen"

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Do you tattoo a kid if you are selling it with the application, or only if it's registered when you sell it? Couldn't the buyer tattoo if they wanted to?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I tattoo before anything leaves my property, registered or not.

You have to tattoo if they are registered or if they come with an application.

The buyer can tattoo, but it is preferred that the breeder does it before any application is sent in.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Well, none of my goats are tattooed, and four were bought with applications, one that was already registered and six years old. So I guess the breeders should've done it.
None of them told us that they had to be tattooed, by the way.
Stupid question: why do they have to be tattooed? I mean, if they aren't going to be shown, why would it matter if you had, say, a registered doe that you were using as a brood doe, or a buck that is a herd sire and not being shown?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
The tattoo could have faded to where you need a flashlight to see it.

The tattoo is so they each have their own personal ID, no other goat within your herd has the same tattoo within a 20 year time span.
Tattoos are good ID if they got stolen and you knew the tattoo, if police found the animal, they just bring it back to you.
Also a good way to trace a goat back to the breeder.

In shows, its proof that those papers go to the correct goat.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
They really do fade on some goats. To the point I though I forgot to do some!

Try it at night, or in a dark barn, and hold a really bright flashlight behind the ear, some people tattoo the ends of the ear, some put it in the middle, some at the bottom, and some at the base of the ear. Check the papers to make sure if they're in the ears or on the tail web.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts