The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three adult does that are in the process of being registered. They are all full size and are dairy does. Unfortunately they were not tattooed as kids. I'm unsure whether I will tattoo them as I don't plan on showing them, but I may want them on linear appraisal or milk test in the future. As I understand it they would have to be tattooed to do either of these things with them. Is that true? If so, how would you experts recommend tattooing them? I don't want to traumatize them and make them hate me. :shrug: And I really don't want them to hurt themselves trying to get away from me when I do it... What do you guys do, or what would you do in my situation? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
543 Posts
We recently had to tattoo a 4 year old buck...it can be done! lol. Having multiple people will help. Now our boy was way to big to put on a milkstand, but I think that might be an easier way, we've done that when tattooing adult does. I usually straddle the animal by putting their neck and head between my legs and squeezing gently to keep them in place, I have someone on the back of the doe to kind of hold her down if she would try to rear up or if she starts moving, and I have someone infront of me to hand me the supplies (ink, tattoo unit, etc) Patience is a big part in it though, and remaining calm. Good luck!! :thumb:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow Meagan! You're really brave! Do you notice that they are afraid of you after you do it, or do they just forget about it in a few minutes? Thanks so much for giving me hope!

·
Registered
543 Posts
He really didn't act angry or scared toward us, and a big bowl of grain made everything better lol. They sure don't feel like cuddling immediately afterwards, but they get over it fairly quickly.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Im not gonna lie....I always wait until they are adults lol UNLESS I show them when they are young, but if I dont then to me there no point in tattooing unless I need to

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree I don't want to tattoo unless there's a reason. I just really want to try for their stars. One doe could potentially be a 5 star and her daughter potentially 6 star. I know they'll need their tattoos to make that happen. Thanks for the encouragement!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Have help, and hang on! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts