Tattooing and Disbudding Equipment ?'s

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Epona142, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I am looking at registering my herd with NMGA and considering disbudding kids in the future, so I had a couple of questions.

First, disbudders. I know the X30 seems to be the disbudder of choice, but what size? Keep in mind we may have mini-nubians in the future, but the chances of having pure full sized kids are slim. Mini-nubians/sanaans/etc are about as far as we'll go in that direction. The rest of course will be Nigerians.

Tattooing.

I found this thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6399&hilit=tattoo+pen

About Tattoo pens. I did PM Liz about it but would love to know if anyone else has used it since and what their results were. In my mind, this would be a lot easier for me to work with, but of course, things need to be done right.

Thanks a ton guys! You're the best. :thumbup:

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    For the x-30 I'd probably go with the regular one which I think is 1/2". I don't think I'd want to go smaller...especially on buck kids. I've never done minis though so maybe someone else might have some better info.

Can't tell you anything about the tattoo pen...

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I'd use the standard X30 as well. Buck kids have a rather large oval shaped horn base... plus going a little wide will just kill the scent gland.... thus... less stinky bucks.... YAY! LOL

I've never even heard of a tattoo pen.... wish I had seen that! I have a tattoo set I might sell though.... ony used it one time... those tage are MUCH easier so we are sticking with those! LOL

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks. I thought the 1/2" would probably be my best bet.

I'm hoping to hear back more on the tattoo pen, but if you decide to sell your set myfainters, feel free to pm me about it. :)