Tattooing-both ears?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by logansmommy7, Mar 7, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Just wondering...I have my farm name and tattoo (for the right ear)...but does each kid that comes from your farm per year HAVE to have a tattoo in the left ear, i.e. A1, A2, etc? Just wanted to get my facts straight!

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yes, they do - for identification purposes. That way you can show them/have linear appraisal, etc. and the assurance that goats you sell are the goat assigned to the paper.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :thumbup:

Exactly.

4. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Good to know. I saw in the AGS newsletter the letter for the year is A. So, whenever my first live kid is born, I name it A1, and down the line, in the left ear. Great! Thanks guys!

5. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    So, if we are just starting out in goats, we would put our farm name in the one ear (Xmas) and then we would put in the other ear A01 or do we put the registration number that comes from the ADGA?

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Actually, you'll get an assigned tattoo sequence from the organization you are registering with. That sequence (2-4 characters) goes in the right ear and the A1, A2, (etc, etc.) goes in the left.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Are you a member of ADGA? if so you get a tattoo with that membership. All goats born under your herd name will need that tattoo in the right ear. The year letter (A for 2010) and number go in the left ear.

Your herd name goes before the kids name like for my doe Ziva

End of the line Charming Ziva
    EOTL
    Z7 (I think LOL have to check if its 6 or 7)

8. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Just making sure, but is the letter A for both AGS and AGDA?? I'm such a newbie...please bear with me!

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yep, it is. I think it's the same with all goat registries - at least it is also the same with NPGA.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes both AGS and ADGA have A as the letter for 2010 :) makes it so much easier