The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,
I found out my boys could show our two grade girls in 4-H. Only in unregistered classes and showmanship but, that's a good place to start. However, I just learned a few days ago they need to be tattooed in order to show. How do I go about getting them tattooed? I know the process of actually tattooing but I didn't know you could tattoo grade animals. I know it's something to do with your farm name (which we don't have) and a certain set of numbers for the year they were born. Do I need a vet to verify the age of them? I just don't know where to start to get this done. :ponder:

·
Super Moderator
59,593 Posts
Do they need to be tattooed for scrapies? You can register with the state for scrapies and have a tattoo id. Then you could tattoo them with that ID. I would find out exactly what kind of tattoo they are looking for.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, I'm not sure what scrapies is. I'm assuming it's some type of illness? Like a coggins test for horses? I will message the Dairy leader and ask how I go about this. Thanks for the help!

·
Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
I would get a premise ID like goathiker suggested in your other posting, then put an individual number in the other ear. They can have the same tattoo in one ear, but the other has to be different. You would just number them 1 and 2. Typically you also put a letter in front of the number depending on what year it is, this year for ADGA the letter is D so all goats born this year will have a tattoo in their left ear starting with D and then their individual number for that herd. Hope that makes sense!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts