Tattooing: What do you use?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Cedar Point Kikos, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Cedar Point Kikos

Cedar Point Kikos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    First off:

For registering goats, is it mandatory to tattoo them? I know some people just put down what the goat's tattoo would be and don't actually tattoo them.

And for tattooing, what do you use? What works best?

My breeds are Kikos & Nigerians.

2. deerbunnyfarm

deerbunnyfarm New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    It is my understanding that, at least with Nigerians, if they're not tattoed they're not considered registered.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07468-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&gas=Goat tattoo

This is what I use, just not 100% on the size
    What I do, it's kinda a no no but it's what I do lol if one is leaving (sold) they go with a tattoo. I'm really bad about not tattooing the ones I keep lol but I don't show or anything like that so no one will ever know lol but really anything you are selling you want to put the tattoo on. My first buck the seller wanted to charge me $20 to tattoo him and I said whatever I'll do it. But really he it was his responsibility to do him and let me tell you if it is a buck that you are probably going to sell later down the road do him when he is small!

4. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
  5. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    It looks like the same basic idea as the one I use. I don't see why it wouldn't get the job done. The only thing I see different is it doesn't have the spring things on the ends like the one in the link does so I just wouldn't clamp it down as hard as you can. The idea is to get a good 'print' I guess you could say and not draw blood. To be honest I've had a few that bled on a few of the needles on a number/letter and it still cam out totally readable. I just really rubbed the ink in there till it stopped bleeding

6. ShireRidgeFarm

ShireRidgeFarm Active Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Northern WV
    The ADGA and AGS rules state that any tattoo written down on a registration that is not actually on a goat can be grounds for kicking that goat out of the registry.

I bought a stone brand tattooing kit and it worked very well for me. I read reviews online for the kind that you're looking at (the ones without the spring ear release) and people said that they will stick in the goats' ears and sometimes be difficult to take off.

7. gegegoatgirl2698

gegegoatgirl2698 New Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Arkansas
    I have a rabbit tattoo pen- can I use it to tattoo my kiddos?

8. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    I was wondering about that too...

9. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California

I don't see why not, there was a topic about using it on here before. I'm not really sure how long it takes to tattoo with that so might be a bit of a pain trying to hold anything over a month old and doing it but still don't see why it wouldn't be ok

10. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

Yes, rabbit tattoo pens work great.

11. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

If you're going to register them, follow through with that commitment and tattoo them. It's much easier to tattoo a kid than an adult. If something should happen down the road and you want to sell that goat with papers which will bring more money, you don't want to have to then tattoo an adult goat.

12. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    What tattooer would you all recommend?

13. LibertyHomesteadFarm

LibertyHomesteadFarm Member

Feb 1, 2014
  14. BrokenArrowRanch

BrokenArrowRanch Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    there was a lady from our fair board who tried to tattoo my doe for show with a rabbit pen. never again. goat wouldn't hold still and her ear bled really bad.

15. gegegoatgirl2698

Feb 1, 2014
    Arkansas
    Awesome, thanks about the pen

16. gegegoatgirl2698

Feb 1, 2014
    Arkansas
    Huh, I've never had a rabbit bleed

17. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    CLRC has Ketchum...http://www.clrc.ca/ketchumpricelist.pdf down at the bottom of that page.

Now, what are rubber strippers? And plastic tattoo die boxes?

Which of the pliers would you recommend?

18. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Ok I THINK the box is simply a box to hold it all and maybe the rubber strips is this rubber part that goes on the tattoo gun between the back and the numbers/letters......hang on I'll just get a picture!

19. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1456850885.346075.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1456850899.046947.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1456850914.798143.jpg
    Ok so there's a picture of the one side where the numbers go, the other side you can see a rubber thing maybe that's is????? And then there's the box if it's the same. For me it's pretty handy and holds 2 tattooers, 2 sets of numbers and letters, rubber gloves and the ink.
    I'm really not sure which to get since it's not showing pictures. The only think I can help you on is I would get green ink. And, ok what ABGA does is your herd prefix goes in the right ear, mine is 1jw1 so I needed to order another 1 j and w so that it's more easy.....I could have got away with not doing the j and w but not the 1 but since I have 2 I like it all set up for both ears

20. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you Jessica! The pictures are very helpful :)

So it looks like the 201A & 201B models don't have springs....
    But the 50D and the 101 do.

Plus, the 50D can be used for rabbits. Would the 50D be too small for goats?
    They show the sizes of them here: http://www.ketchum.ca/_catalogues/pdf_id9.pdf

The 50D is also cheaper and the characters are as well.