The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just had our first Nubian kids and will be needing to tattoo them. We are tattooing with an electric machine (like for humans) and have long term experience using these..on people. Has anyone used and electric machine on their herd? Tips on the process and ink color? Our kids have black ears.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Never heard of anyone using an electric human tattoo gun on goats. But I guess it could work BUT the tattoos HAVE to be legible. Not kinda, not mostly but totally. So although you may have the experience needed to do it, 99.9% likely your goat will not stand still and you will end up with a horrific mess. Highly suggest to just buy the tattoo pliers and green tattoo paste.

Clean inside of ear. We use alcohol swabs. Hold animal very secure. By that I mean when you clamp down, that animals is going to freak, buck, jump and kick. Clamp down. Remove pliers, with rubber gloves, put a dab of ink on your finger, rub into the puncture marks. Put Vaseline over the top to help keep moist and to help hold the ink in place longer. Done

·
Owner of 4 La Manachas.
303 Posts
I have used tattoo pens on animals ears before. I prefer them to the clamps. We animals tend to actually stay still for them better than the clamps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Really? That is quite amazing cybercat. My animals dont even like their ears touch let alone stand for 4 digits in one year and 3 or 4 in the other as well. Not to mention you have to go deep enough to be able to read it throught the animals life time. And in animals with more often then not dark colored ear skin.

·
Owner of 4 La Manachas.
303 Posts
Practice on citrus fruit with a tattoo pen. Years ago when I did my cats and dogs I joined tattoo a pet. That's how I learned and we did the ears. I had one person hold while I did the tattooing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Goat Forum mobile app

·
I'm watching you
22,203 Posts
Just use blue ink on dark ears. The pens are nice, they are quick and make a much more readable tattoo. Here's how you do it.

Clean ear with alcohol
Write the letters and numbers you want with a surgical pen
Put a thin layer of Bactrin or vitamin E balm over the letters ( this keeps the needles moving freely and keeps the ink from running)
Tattoo in the letters, clean with alcohol, and cover with bactrin until healed.
The pen I use has a 5 needle head, it's very quick.

·
Owner of 4 La Manachas.
303 Posts
The pens these days are so much lighter weight than what I used years ago. The old ones had a box battery on top that ran the needle. Even then they were easier than those clamps at least for me. Go video on how it works with a pen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yay a video! I haven't been able to search and find any subject matter on this. Thank you for the info. Is there a reason for blue ink?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts