Tattooing

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Jul 31, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, do I have reason to be so afraid of tattooing??? I am so scared to do it yet it is required. Any tips? I have mini-goats so I bought the small animal tattoo outfit. I have green ink (and black, but I'm using green). So, I rub ink on the ear first, then tattoo then rub a little more ink? Does that sound right?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I need the same advice!

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yep, rub the ink in really well. Don't be "hesitant" when you squeeze. You'll need help. Check to make sure you have the digits in right, check it on a piece of paper. Then check it again! Good luck!

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
  5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I do not put ink on first. I tattoo first, check the tattoo to make sure it is correct and "in" there well. Then I rub the ink.

Tattooing is NOT a big deal. I was terrified to do it at first but it is not hard. It is like getting their ears pierced.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i use a toohbrush to get the ink in there really well. The deeper the holes the better tattoo you will get later. they will scream and carry on about it but dont let it phase you. It only hurts for a minute and then they are usually fine.

beth

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Ditto what Chelsey said, tattooing isn't that bad. Be sure to clean the ears with alcohol first. Here is what I do:

1. Make sure you have your right tattoo in the tongs and check on a piece of paper
    2. Share or cut the hair off of the ears(makes it easier to see)
    3. wipe with alcohol, then dry the ear
    4. get the goat in position, its usually easier to have somebody else hold them.
    5. squeeze the pliers, don't be gentle about it, you may have to pry their ears off of the needles on the digits
    6. put lots of ink on
    7. if there is bleeding, keep putting ink on
    8. put vaseline on the tattoo area to seal in the ink and keep dirt out
    9. give them a big hug and kiss
    10. try and wash the ink out of your hair because you HAD to touch your head afterwards :roll:

And when your done, everybody will be nice and pretty......green :D

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I was TERRIFIED of tattooing -- one of the main reasons I chose not to have registered goats for a while.

But Ashely (runaround) showed me how and it isnt so hard.

CHECK CHECK CHECK the tattoo on a piece of paper oh and then CHECK AGAIN! I did that and STILL had two letters switched. :doh:

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I wipe the ear with a clean cloth, then I rub some ink on the ear, check my digits on a piece of paper, then I squeeze the pliers on the ear, then I put some ink on a medium tooth brush and rub it into the holes, then I take some baking soda and rub it on top of the ink and massage into the holes.

10. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I have someone sit on the edge of the milkstand. Hold the kid while I clean the ears. Then I rub green ink on the ear, tattoo, rub more ink in it and I rub the ink in very good. Then I repeat on the other ear.

When you close the tattoo outfit on the ear the kids will probably scream and squirm. Keep closing it hold it for a second or two and open it.

That is what I do. :wink:

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Well, tomorrow's the big day for tattooing. . . . My bucklings will be going to their new homes and are getting tatttoed before leaving. Thanks for all the tips! They have really, really helped. I don't feel so nervous and have everything all together for it. Thanks!

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Good luck! Hope all goes well! I'm sure you'll do great! :hi5:

13. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've got some I need to tattoo too. I usually do them all when I disbud, but we stopped early on this year and then I did a series of them late this spring. I still have a heap to do. Guess that's a project to do soon since we'll be showing this fall.

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I did it!! You guys are very right, it was pretty easy! :D I'd rather tattoo anyday over disbudding. :) The first boy I think I didn't have to puncture so hard as he bled a little but after that, I did real good. Checked & double-checked the letters/numbers and got it all done well. Thanks again!

15. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Good job! I did my first tattooing jobs this year...usually ended up looking like I painted my face afterwards!! :)

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    how we tattoo is a little different than what sarah suggested

i clean the ear, let it dry. then i put ink, then clamp then instead of more ink, we put cornstarch. the cornstarch raises teh tattoo so you don't need a flashlight to find the tattoos. we rub it in with the toothbrush and wipe away the excess, then we repeat with ink and more cornstarch if the tattoo isn't like crystal clear

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    curious how the cornstarch raises the tatoo???

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Me too. :? Hopefully I'll be doing tattoos next spring :wink:

19. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the cornstarch sticks in the tattoo holes and heals in it so it raises the tattoo

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    O....and it's not a toxic substance so it would just "disappear" as scar tissue forms around it...makes sense to me as I can't see either of my nigi's tats at this point without the use of a light, and they have black ear skin.