The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How soon after a kid is born do you tattoo? I plan on tagging as soon as I can but wasn’t sure on tattooing

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
As long as the numbers fit between the veins you can tattoo them. In the past I have always done it at the time of weaning, then I sport some awesome bruises on my legs from holding them between my legs lol this year I’m going to tattoo them all at about a week old. Just go down threw my list and they get either disbudded or tattooed so I can put them in my little box and save my legs :p

·
Registered
574 Posts
I like to wait until 9 or 10 weeks on mine. I don't think there's much risk, but I feel better waiting until they've had their tetanus shot and booster before I do tattoos and castrations. I'm still hoping for ADGA to decide to accept microchips as a sole form of ID so I don't have to tattoo at all though...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm getting into a couple of registered goats and need to buy a tattoo kit. What do you all need to buy and are there any tattoo kits you would recommend?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Oh gosh it has been many many years since I bought mine but I THINK this the size I got
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...itemguid=3269d88d-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5
They do have smaller which if you plan to do very young will work, I'm still not 100% sure if I can use mine super young.
I bought 2 of them though. One for the right ear one for the left ear. It's just easier then trying to change numbers out.
One thing before you go forward is think about what extra numbers and letters you might need. Don't be like me and realize your short your first time tattooing. What I mean by this is my right ear tattoo is 1JW1, that used up both my 1s from the two kits, so I couldn't use any 1s until I bought some more.
They also have tattoo pen guns some people use. You just write the tattoo in like you would write with a normal pen. I don't trust my hand writing that well, these little letters and numbers are so easy. You just put some ink on the ear, squeeze, rub ink into It and your done ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I used a .300 tattoo kit from Caprine Supply. The small digits didn't stretch as much as the larger digits tend to do when the ear grows. It depended on the kid but I waited until their ears were big enough for the tongs to comfortably fit between the veins, and most importantly, thick enough. It usually wasn't until after 8-12 weeks.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
I know a lot who do it at the time of disbudding, kind of get it all done at once.

I'm bad about it and will do it when they are sold...or shown...ooops lol.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Can you use the same tattoo equipment for adults as kids? My breeder sells for mostly pets and doesn’t tattoo unless you request it. I have two adults to do but will be tattooing my own kids eventually. I didn’t care at the time, but I want mine done for identification purposes.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Can you use the same tattoo equipment for adults as kids? My breeder sells for mostly pets and doesn't tattoo unless you request it. I have two adults to do but will be tattooing my own kids eventually. I didn't care at the time, but I want mine done for identification purposes.
Yes, absolutely! When I retained kids, I normally didn't tattoo them until shortly before I showed them. Sometimes that wasn't until they were yearlings. Also, tattoos can fade over time and I had to re-tattoo many adults. If I bought an adult who had never been tattooed and I wanted to show her, it was easy to do them too with the same set I used for kids.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Yes you can do them as adults. I used to be bad about not tattooing any of my keepers, and then when I sold them later on had to put tattoos in. It is NOT fun though just because they are bigger and stronger and it’s not a pleasant thing to have done

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank y’all we usually do them at time of purchase but was wondering about doing them sooner. We may just wait so if one goes to the butcher it won’t hVe has to go thru it. I will just tag first

·
8,175 Posts
I tattoo when disbudding. Over 100 kids born, I don't have time to go back and tattoo later. Plus, collars with name tags get chewed, fall off, etc. it's easier to tattoo when a few days old. Just put on your reg. papers "re tattooed". That way, if it fades etc you can re do it and if the old one still shows a little, you are covered.
Only Lamancha babies are not tattooed, I wait until they actually have a tail big enough! The tail web is just too small.

I have a 2 sided tattoo pliers. One side stays my farm initials, the other is the individual tattoo number.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts