The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "alpha" goat is an alpine, 4 years young and horned. I am working on teaching him to lead (I got him from someone who just had him as a pet and I am working on turning him into a packer) anyways, he is very aggressive toward equipment...for example, if I am in the pasture visiting and have a brush in hand and set it down on the ground, he becomes very angry at it and attacks it. He does this to anything and everything except people (he has postured at me a couple of times and he gets a swift kick in the ribs, which seems to help) When I have the collar and lead in hand he trots up and tries to bite it and hook it with his horns. He does not do this when you are just standing with nothing in hand.

I've come to the conclusion that he has an anger problem. When I put the collar and lead on him, he starts tossing his head and hooking the lead around his horns and is very resistant to walk. If I grab the collar and keep his shoulder at my hip he will walk with me but if I try to lead him with the rope he throws a fit. I have tried tying him up and letting him work it out himself but he ends up with the rope tangled around his horns and fighting.

Any suggestions? I have not tried a halter, I'm not sure if it would make a difference.

On a side note, going back to his anger problems, I put him in the yard to eat some fresh tall grass the other day. He went over to a tree and started attacking it; not just rubbing his head on it but full-on ramming it and getting angry and ripped bark off of it. I gave him the christmas tree this past winter to eat and he rutted in it like a bull elk. Is this normal goat behavior or is he excessively naughty?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is awesome advise. When I picked him up he was in with some little does but I know he had not had alot of "goat time" because he it took him at least a week to figure out how to jump onto the spools in the pasture and he had no balance when trying to walk on the narrow board I have running between two spools. He now is as sure footed as can be but I just don't think he got to be much of a goat before I brought him home. The squirt bottle is very effective with him, ill keep that in mind with leading.

Here is a pic of the brat.. He is a bit chubby here with his winter coat

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts