tearing goat that cant see now, and diarrhea from other one

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by newfarmer, Oct 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. newfarmer

newfarmer New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Hello,
    Like my name i am new to farming, i just did transaction from city life to become farmer,
    my cavalry is not grate with all the terms and medicine names, so when replay (if you will)
    i wood like to get it detailed as possible,
    i got goats that pregnant and one of them is having diarrhea, i think she is about to deliver but somebody told my the milk sack spouse to be big, and its not..

one of my other goats she is pregnant also and was tearing for few days, today i notice that she cant find the way back to the Pasteur, and i saw she is closing her eyes and her eyes are red around, i wash her head with clean water and with soap to clean any debris,
    i am all for natural raising. please help me with solution FAST..
    i cant stop thinking that something can happened to them
    i thank you all for advance.
    Leo

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like your girls are going to need medication.

The girl with the diarrhea, I would take a poop sample in to the vet and have them do a fecal test to include coccidia. I would also take a fecal sample in for your other girl too.

I would get an eye antibiotic and put it in the eyes 4 times per day.

If you can find a good goat vet, it is worth it to have them come out and look at the girls.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    For the doe with runs..stop all grain, she can not digest it right now...give Pepto to help dry her bum and sooth her tummy, as Karen said, have a fecal done if you can to see if its worms...if her poop is more a green tint to it, its more than likely dietary...feed hay alfalfa and green leaves only right now...keep her hydrated with electrolytes ( recipe to follow) I would also give her C D Antitoxin..if you dont have it or cant get it...Give Milk of magnesia instead of the pepto..MOM will bind toxin that are building in her gut. It wont help her scours right now.but let it run its course..MOM is 15 cc per 60# goats...twice a day..
    Check her inner lower eye lids for color...they should be deep pink to red..here is a link to show you how...
    http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Ul3ui2Rxte4
    For the DOe with runny eye...You need to get a good look...is is cloudy? is there a red bump in it? This couldbe pink eye but treatment is different if there is a red bump (ulcer) in her eye...if its just runny and or cloudy, using an antibiotic as a eye drop 2-3 times a day, keeping her eye clean and dry as possible...if there is an ulcer then you need to use a triple antibiotic cream..ALso check her for anemia as well..

If either are anemic ( pale lids) treat for worms...Ivomec plus 1 cc per 40# sub Q is a wormer I would choose...it covers the most worms...

Take both temps...it should be 101.5-103.5
    Fortified B complex is great fro stress when they are not feeling well..
    Probios is good for the gut..

I agree a vet check would be a good idea just to be sure they are doing well...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
    2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what you have or honey
    1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
    1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it...be sure to have fresh water as well so they can choose..

4. newfarmer

newfarmer New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Thank you so much for responding fast! the eye is looking cloudy.. and for the other goat with the diarrhea it is green poop.. and i give them this pallets 12% maybe i should stop with it for few days and give them alpha alpha..
    the only thing i don't know is the antibiotics.. i don't know where to get it from, i told you i don't know much about MOM or ivomec.. ect, i am living in Florida 33463 zip.. i will try to look for this things..

5. newfarmer

newfarmer New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    thank you for fast replay!
    i will check for local vet and get the poop tested. i wish i new more about this medicine and where to get this..

6. ksalvagno

Stick with the hay for now.

Do you have a local Tractor Supply?

MOM is milk of magnesia - you can get that at any store

7. newfarmer

newfarmer New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    yes we do have tractor supply and i will get this milk.. what about the antibiotic to the eye?

8. ksalvagno

See what you can find at Tractor Supply. Also try to contact a vet who does livestock. It really sounds like you could use someone who can come and physically look at your animals.

Milk of Magnesia is an over the counter laxative medication for humans. You find it in the pharmacy section.

9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    The antibiotic you can get is Tylan 200 and Penicillin..both will work fine as an eye drop..: ) only need one drop ..be sure to keep the eye cleanand dry as possible
    The cd antitoxin might be found at tractor supply as well...here is a link to show you what it looks like..It is an ANITITOXIN ...it IS NOT cd&t toxoid
    http://goat-link.com/content/view/159/168/#.Ul6x92Rxte4
    I have to order it from Jeffers online. Its good to keep on hand any time a goat is off food or very runny poop...this link also give how much to give ;)

Ivomec Plus is a worming medication...I give it Injected 1 cc per 40# weight of goat...so a 120# goat would get 3 cc just under the skin...it burns a bit so I get my goats walking it off fast..best place to give it is where the neck meets the body..just pinch a nice tent of skin and go for it...she will forgive you. here is a pic of what that liiks like
    http://www.jefferspet.com/ivomec-plus-injectable/camid/liv/cp/17180/

I know its all over whelming...just keep asking questions..we will answer them..we are all learning and this place is a great place to be when you need help : )

10. newfarmer

newfarmer New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    OK so i got this Terramycin, the instructions are in German please tell me this is little tube 3.5g how do give this?

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    you just put a pea size or so of the ointment in the eye..bring down the bottlm lid, put the dab on it andrub it up word to treat ;)

12. newfarmer

newfarmer New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    And how meny times a day? For how long? Thank you so much for helping me!!!

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would do it 2 times a day until it is completly clear..you want to see a dry face ( no more runny eye) and the cloud to be gone...could take a week or two...

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    on you doe with the runs...do the M.O.M just until she is eating well...might take a day or two..then switch to Pepto until she begins to firm...once you see ploppy poop, stop pepto as well...what you want is to see her eating hay at the feeder, chewing a cud and active belly noises....then you know her rumen is functioning. dont give any grain until sheis pooping berries, then reintroduce grain slowly..not too much too fast..if she begins to loosen up on her poop, back off a bit on the grain...

15. newfarmer

newfarmer New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    ok so i order online this ivomec plus, do i need to order syringes? do you have link online?
    and what is the other link you send me? what this material for?

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    CD antitoxin is given ANYTIME a goat is off feed or very runny...the rumen begins to build toxins when its not functioning proper..CDAntitoxins only job is to bind those toxins while the goat heals..without this help many goats can die from toxcity...I prefer this medication over MOM because I can also use Pepto to sooth tummy and dry the bum..but if you do not have AD Antitoxin..MOM is next best thing..it too binds toxins..poop will not firm up but the toxins are bound and that is the important part..once the goat is eating you stop MOM and start Pepto or scour halt to dry her up...
    You will need 18 and 20 G needles a 1/2 inch length...All meds are given sub Q except hormone I order from jefferspet.com You can get just about everything you need here...Meds, vitamins needles ect..

17. newfarmer

newfarmer New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    what about the syringe? is 3 ml is the one i need? or to go on?..

18. newfarmer

newfarmer New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Just wanted to tell you this site is awesome! this is truly to help people and ANIMALS, you and the others truly make different...

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I keep 3 cc and 6 cc as well as 12 cc...CD Antitoxin is Large doses so a big syringe is needed for that...never give more than 10 cc at one location..if they need more (like with CDAnt.) do the shot in two locations..best to change needle when you change locations...they get dull pretty fast.

20. newfarmer

newfarmer New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Hey again. So I put it to my goat and I think today she can see a little.. :)
    But I got 3 more that haveing this runny eye.. do you think I should start treatment to prevent or to wait and see what is going on? P.s. they can see just fine and the eyes looking clear..