The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two year old nigerian doe who seems to have a waxy blockage in the tip of one teat. We tested for mastitis twice and she is negative. The udder otherwise seems healthy. It is difficult to get the teat started, and first the milk comes through in tiny squirts. Then towrad the end, I have to fill the teat with milk and then squeeze down. It does not hurt her and the milk is fine. Any ideas?:dazed:

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
They naturally produce that wax as a cap to keep stuff outta the teat. Kinda like a goats why of fighting off mastitis. Just sounds like your girl is over producing it. Have no idea if there is a fix but you will find better success if you have a hot/warm wash cloth or paper towel and use it to clean off the end of the teat. The hot moistness will help melt the plug before milking

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Yup, just gotta take the plug out. Totally normal :)

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
yep, I had a doe that it took forever for me to milk that out. If I did not get it out after the babies were born they would starve because they could not get it out. Just wash her well with a good WARM water and massage her and rub the teat between your index finger and thumb and it will work lose.

·
2,203 Posts
Soaking the teat in nice warm water and frequent massage of the teat itself should assist in loosening.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your replies. They give us piece of mind that this is normal. I never had this issue in our other 2 milking does. We had been milking this girl for 5 months before she had the blockage, so we are still a bit confused why it developed after that amount of time. I will keep soaking before I milk and hope that the problem resolves itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts