The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I would try the blue one first to see how that goes! Looks like really good stuff, however never used it, only cow dip! I dont think it would hurt her tho.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Well for cows we use iodione and the calf can still nurse, not real sure but maybe the 1-2-iodine teat dip one! Thats just my guess!!!!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
quick question wouls that burn the little goats throat since they are still nursing?
If the goat is being milked out by the babies you don't really need a teat dip. Teat dips are mostly for the prevention of mastitis and if they are actively getting sucked on it there's much less chance so I would use something different, not a teat dip, just something to keep it clean. BUT, the dip itself will do no harm to the kids, but I would wipe it lightly after dipping so the kids aren't directly eating it. But while kids are still nursing, I prefer antibacterial wipes for their teats instead of a dip while babies are nursing.

TEAT DIP: 10 drops tea tree, 15-20 drops lavender, 2 TBSP castille soap. Add warm water until you get the desired amount (about a quart)

UDDER WIPES:
Same ingredients, except in wipe form you will:

"To make your own goat wipes, find a food storage container (a coffee can will rust) that will hold a roll of paper towels that have been cut in half. Use only Bounty paper towels, anything else will just become a mushy mess. Cut a roll in half with a bread knife. Remove the cardboard tube. Place the half paper towel roll into the container, remove it, turn it over, and place it back in. To use your wipes, remove them from the center of the roll."

- Fias Co Farm

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the goat is being milked out by the babies you don't really need a teat dip. Teat dips are mostly for the prevention of mastitis and if they are actively getting sucked on it there's much less chance so I would use something different, not a teat dip, just something to keep it clean. BUT, the dip itself will do no harm to the kids, but I would wipe it lightly after dipping so the kids aren't directly eating it. But while kids are still nursing, I prefer antibacterial wipes for their teats instead of a dip while babies are nursing.

TEAT DIP: 10 drops tea tree, 15-20 drops lavender, 2 TBSP castille soap. Add warm water until you get the desired amount (about a quart)

UDDER WIPES:

"To make your own goat wipes, find a food storage container (a coffee can will rust) that will hold a roll of paper towels that have been cut in half. Use only Bounty paper towels, anything else will just become a mushy mess. Cut a roll in half with a bread knife. Remove the cardboard tube. Place the half paper towel roll into the container, remove it, turn it over, and place it back in. To use your wipes, remove them from the center of the roll."

- Fias Co Farm
Thanks for the teat dip recipe. I will get some antibacterial wipes to use.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts

UDDER WIPES:

- Fias Co Farm
I ise the sectiowned paper towels and a quart ball jar. The towels fold in half and go in. Half wipes at the beginning unless she is really dirty and the other side at the end. I use doterra liquid soapy stuffs. :).

I also got a reciped from weep em n reap i think it was for an udder cream. I use more when i milk. Then she gets a tinny bit put on at the end.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts