teat question- pooch pic added

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by QotL, Sep 18, 2008.

1. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    As you folks know, I've been watching my Loopa like a hawk wondering if she was bred. We are down to the wire now, only one last month until I know one way or the other.. meanwhile, the torture goes on :hair:

So.... I noticed over the last two months that her teats have gotten much larger. No udder growth though. Is this a sign of pregnancy, or just a sign that she's maturing?

I have a (skinny) pic of her a few days after I brought her home, and one I took 2 weeks ago. I'll try to get more of my sweet girl tomorrow, plus a pooch pic.

In May:
    [​IMG]

2 weeks ago:
    [​IMG]

(and yes, I'm aware that the brown girl next to her has a torn stomach ligament. :) )

2. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Re: teat question

thats a nice lil pooch- -Our boers usually fill up about 2 months prior to kidding , but some wait to the last minute to fill up-Shes due in a month -correct? Do you have any pics of her teats now??

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

body capacity is all I see -- but she could be pregnant. with no udder development and only one more month to go I find that rather rare.

Yes as a doe matures her teats will grow.

4. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY

have to ask
    what is a torn stomach lig
    other than the obvious
    i mean
    my goats look like that after dinner
    well, a couple do
    not all
    especially Arthur after he has had some grain and his bottle
    (born in march gets one 8oz bottle at night just because he is spoiled)

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

I'm wondering the same thing as heavenly haven. We have a pygmy doe who's stomach looks like that. It always has pretty much but after this last kidding, I guess it looks a little bigger. She loves the pasture and her grain and all other food. :) She won't be bred anymore though, so doesn't really need to worry about her "figure" (or lack of). :)

6. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine

The thing with the brown goat (Granny) in the pic is that her poor stomach looks like that- totally lopsided- no matter whether she's just eaten or not. That odd bulge sort of jiggles when she walks. It doesn't seem to bother her, though, and I won't be breeding her, so I have no idea what the longer term prognosis would be. She's quite elderly, so this is her retirement home.

Back to the girl in question. I apologize these aren't better pics, but I just got out there, and it's getting dark.

Full body (and she was actually stretching her back in this pic, but I know you can't tell):
    [​IMG]

Pooch and udder (lack of) pic:
    [​IMG]

And I'm not sure how the color is in that second pic, but the redness in her vulva has been there for at least the last month.

Meghan

7. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.

Judging by the pics and with 1 month to go -I would say that I don't think she is pregnant- I don't see any bagging up or any signs that she is. the fact that she has a belly could be that you may feed her more than the previous owner. I'm not a vet though and i could be wrong?

8. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    that would be disappointing, but at least I would finally know :GAAH:

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she doesnt look bred. If you want her bred now is the time to be watching for signs of heat ---- she could be heat right now

10. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    Went up this morning to feed. Loopa had a pea sized ball of mucus on her vulva- it was cloudy and slightly yellowy. It was a ball, completely round.

Is this a sign of heat??

We do have a boy lined up in to pick up in two weeks.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    quite possibly, Watch now in 17-21 days for another heat