The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little more than two months ago I treated my Alpine with "ToDay" for mastitis, about a week. when I treated her I put the entire tip up into her teat. (this was my first time treating for Mastitis)

Now, Her teat looks abnormal. I attached two pictures.. one before treatment and how it looks now.

she had two kids on her that ate mainly from the other teat.

any thoughts, Did I ruin her teat by putting the entire tip of the ToDay tube, into her teat? will this return to normal when she dries off? :confused:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
Teat looks blown out. When you say you put the whole tip in, what did you mean?

The first picture looks like it was a bit blown out already.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
It has been a long time since I have seen one of those tubes so I am not sure how far you were inserting it.

Was the teat totally like the other one before treatment? It didn't look like it was in your first picture.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tip of the tube is long, I don't know the exact length. it's maybe an inch long.. maybe just a little more. so when I treated her the tube went at least an inch into her orifice.

Her teats looked normal and close in size. though one was a tad smaller but nothing that looked off or abnormal to me.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
If her teat is blown out, that will be permanent. I think time will tell. I only remember putting the very end of the tip in when I used it. Then having to work the med up into the udder.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If her teat is blown out, that will be permanent. I think time will tell. I only remember putting the very end of the tip in when I used it. Then having to work the med up into the udder.
Yep, that's the way it's supposed to be done... Though, when I got the ToDay, I bought only a couple tubes and the tubes didn't give instruction on insertion. it was only after I'd infused her a couple times that I thought about looking up the directions on the internet. :wallbang: that's why I'm wondering if I caused this.

She's gives more than two quarts just from the one side alone. so I'm still able to milk her. But if I had unknowingly caused this, didn't know if it'd get worse. or if it'd shrink back or what. or if it'd have effects on milking her in the future.

appreciate your help Ksalvagno. :)

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
Blown out means basically it gets real huge when in milk. The teat fills up and stays large. Usually see it in older does who have been milked for years. The teat gets stretched out. Genetics plays a role. They are usually too big for kids to nurse on. You can still milk them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts