The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, having a weird issue that I'd love some opinions on. One of my Mini Nubian does gave birth about three weeks ago, and for the last week one of her teats has been getting clogged overnight, pretty much every night. She had triplets, and they definitely drink out of both teats—they actually favored this teat before it began clogging—so this wasn't just because one side was drying up.

I don't believe the clog is forming in the very end of the orifice of the teat, because I can get a few (restricted) streams of milk out before the clog falls into place and fully blocks the orifice.
I am then able to free the clog by massaging it when blocking off the top of the teat and applying gentle pressure. See attached pic, but the clog is fairly large, white, firm and rubbery, usually with a blood spot or two.

To try and fix this I've been milking her out on that one side both in the morning and at night, but it's never clogged at night, only in the morning. CMT shows weak gelling in comparison to the good half, but it's not bad, and her udder is neither hot nor hard. Milk tastes perfectly normal, not salty, though there is a faint pink tinge to which is really only noticeable when you compare in to the milk from her other half in the CMT paddle.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, or have any ideas what could be causing this?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Oh shoot, forgot to include this relevant info: She did have an issue with this teat last year (when she was a FF) but we were new to goats so we didn't realize it until it was too late. This teat totally dried up though, but because she had only had one kid last year, we just assumed it was because he was only nursing the other side. Now I'm wondering if this same issue actually occurred last year, where it became clogged first through no fault of the kid's. This year her udder is nice and even, but I felt like this history part was important to add.

And also, the clogs sink in milk—they do not float.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I had this happen A few times over the years..but always at the beginning of lactation. Its like mozzarella cheese and hard to milk out.
First I would rule out mastitis. I would give daily high doses of vit c.
Massage, knead, milk , repeat until you get all the chunks out

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O had this happen A few times over the years..but always at the beginning of lactation. Its like mozzarella cheese and hard to milk out.
First I would rule out mastitis. I would give daily high doses of vit c.
Massage, knead, milk , repeat until you get all the chunks out
Mozzerella cheese is actually a perfection description of the texture/consistency!

I will try Vit C, do you get get capsules and feed them with a balling gun? I've also seen garlic recommended often for low-level mastitis, but she won't eat the cloves-gonna pick up a few bananas today to hide them in so I can get some in her just in case.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I use NOW vit c powder..mix with water to drench..but many love the chewable

You can nake a garlic past with fresh garlic and olive oil..blend well..feed 1 tablsepoon or so 2-3 times a day

You can dilute further with water to drench

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe treat her for mastitis.
Clumps are not good, especially like that.
I'm going to start her on some non-antibiotic treatments today in case it's mastitis, but I'm hesitant to give her antibiotics as we're planning to start milking the herd this week and I'm really not sure that it's mastitis. Her udder isn't hot or hard, and the milk isn't stringy at all, it's a perfectly normal consistency aside from the blockages (and it tastes good too). Plus the CMT comparison between the two halves really isn't bad, and at least from what I've read it doesn't seem abnormal to have a slightly elevated SCC in that half given the blockage.

Is there anything else you'd recommend short of going the antibiotic route if things don't improve or worsen?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use NOW vit c powder..mix with water to drench..but many love the chewable

You can nake a garlic past with fresh garlic and olive oil..blend well..feed 1 tablsepoon or so 2-3 times a day

You can dilute further with water to drench
Making a dilute paste to drench is a great idea. Since I've got to run to town anyway I'll get her some bananas so it's a more enjoyable experience for her, but I'll remember that in case I ever need to do something like that in the future. She's already very fussy and a bit standoffish so I try not to bother her unnecessarily.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
You could feed her back 30 cc of the milk from that side a few times. If there is bacteria building up her body will detect it and make antibodies to fight it. The garlic and vit c will support her immune system. If you have access to quality essential oils..diluted oregano great to use and feed.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Also For my last doe with this ..took about 3 or 4 milkings to get it all out

Keep milking her out at least 3-4 times a day

·
8,171 Posts
She may have a bit of tissue in the teat that blocks the milk flow. If you get a vet out for any reason, (s)he can use a little tool to grab that tissue and remove it.
Teat dilators work, you would tape in place, but with kids on her, it's not a good idea and as with anything inside a teat, you are potentially introducing bacteria into the udder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts