Teat tape V.S. Masking Tape

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    So, I have a 5 month old baby, who I need to wean, but I dont have an extra space, because I got some new goats in September, and they are taking up the separate pen, so, I want to get some teat tape to tape up mamma's teats. My question is- Can I use masking tape or do I have to get the teat tape?
    Thanks,
    Nigerian Dwarf Goat

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would not use masking tape.

Go to a drug store and get some medical tape. It’s more soft and fabric textured.

3. Chelsey

Chelsey Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2018
    I’ve used a couple fabric bandaids, masking tape won’t hold up though, you’ll want medical tape or something similar. The bandaids I used only on a single teat to get the baby to nurse the other side so they never had to take much abuse. I don’t know how well they’d work on a desperate and older baby.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    That paper tape works well. (Medical aisle). When you do tape, make sure it won't be too tight when she fills with milk. You still have to milk her 2 x a day (or once) and re tape. I sort of flatten the teat, run a strip down, over the end and back up the other side.then flatten the test and go around it. Kind of squeeze it and make sure the test end is covered. Leave a tiny corner folded back over itself so you can untape her!

Goats.galore and goatblessings like this.
  6. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Masking tape will rip right off and so will plain band-aids. I've had to tape a lot of teats since I rarely separate our kids for weaning and I think I finally hit on a winner. First I apply a band-aid over the end of the teat because I like having that soft, non-stick pad over the orifice to prevent dirt build-up there. Flatten the teat when you apply the band-aid just as Goat Rock describes.

Next I apply the tape. I use 1" wide Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape. It's not cheap, but it is the only thing I've found that sticks even when it gets wet, and I've almost never had a kid succeed in pulling it off or biting through it. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to irritate the doe when I peel it off. The best thing about it is that it flexes. Most tape ends up constricting the teats as the doe fills, causing her to become uncomfortable or the tape to pop off.

For aggressive older kids, I apply a one piece of tape across the band-aid to prevent the kids from ripping through the band-aid at the bottom. Next I wind a piece of tape around the teat, covering the ends of the band-aid. Then I put another piece around the teat above that. With aggressive kids I may add a third loop of tape at the top. Make sure the teats are nice and dry when you apply the tape and it shouldn't come off. Good luck!

I've got a doe I'm taping right now so if you want photos let me know.

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    @Damfino If you do get the time, I would love to see pictures :)
    Thank yall! I have 4 rolls of medical tape in my 1st aid kit so I will use that!

groovyoldlady and Iluvlilly! like this.
  8. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Most of these photos are blurry. Sorry about that... low light conditions.
    First thing is a band-aid with the pad placed over the orifice.
    TeatTape.1.jpg

TeatTape.2.jpg

Next I put a short piece of tape across going the other direction. You can use a second band-aid for this if you want to, but I usually use tape since the band-aids are flimsier and we're talking about big, rough kids trying to remove it.
    TeatTape.3.jpg

Then I wind a piece of tape around the bottom of the teat to lock down the band-aid/tape cross.
    TeatTape.4.jpg

I wrap one more piece of tape around the teat above the first and that's usually it, although sometimes I'll put a third layer so the whole teat is covered. I do that if I see that the kid has been trying to grasp the teat above the tape and is leaving tooth marks.
    TeatTape.5.jpg
    Very seldom have I had this kind of stretchy tape get pulled off either by kids or by the doe. It helps that I think the tape is comfortable for the doe to wear. I've seen does pull tape off themselves if it gets tight.

9. Chelsey

Chelsey Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Goodness that stuff looks hefty! I need that for my children. Where do you get it?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    So I taped last night, and this morning, we were still good! I used some bandaids, and some cloth tape that i used for when my kid broke some fingers in softball, but i havent been out there, since i got home about 2 minutes ago... WISH ME LUCK!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
  12. RhinoWhite

RhinoWhite Active Member

Nov 17, 2013
    South Africa
    That's what I would expect them to do.

I'd think that one could put a harness on the doe.

13. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    50% SUCCESS!!!!(dance)(rofl)
    I'm sure if I would have went out there sooner we would have had the big 100, but, I had other chores :crazy:

Also, I didn't get to tape her today because I ran out of band-aids, and forget to get more(doh)

Chelsey and Iluvlilly! like this.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Ok, so this 7 month old baby is nursing behind my back! I kept up the teat taping for almost a month and mamma was about dried up, but yesterday, I saw Jenny nursing while I was filling cow water!(headsmash)

OMG!!! Should I start teat taping again but administer ToDay (I beleive that is what the stuff that goes in their teat to dry them up is called), because at the moment, I still have no place to put her(doh).
    We are about to build a new buck fence, so i will have a place soon, but mama needs dried up anyways...

GoofyGoat likes this.
  16. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Lol, she's determined isn't she....
    Good luck with the stinker.
    I haven't had to tape yet but I'm sure my day is coming, so I'm watching and learning :)

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  17. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    ToDay is an antibiotic mastitis treatment and does not help them dry up. I had a similar situation with the doe I mentioned above. She was supposed to be sold and I taped her teats and got her to dry up. But then sale fell through and her teats were becoming a little raw and discolored from taping too long so I didn't replace it when it fell off for the last time in early November. By then she was essentially dry anyway. Her kid went back to nursing her of course, but the doe did not go back to producing enough to worry about. The kid is slowly becoming discouraged by the lack of milk I think. I haven't seen her nurse in the last week or so. It also helps that all the kids are coming into heat now and are more interested in fighting each other, challenging the higher-ups, and forming their own little cabals than acting like babies.

If your doe dried up and is not coming back into heavy production I wouldn't worry about the kid at this point. Mom will most likely wean her eventually as she prepares for new kids. This is the time of year when production drops naturally, so there is a good chance that your doe won't come back into milk because of a nursing kid.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    However, if you have a determined nurser, watch the nurser kid and the doe when the momma doe kids. That older one may start nursing again, and steal the colostrum and cause the newborn to not survive. Yes, I had this happen this year. I had no idea the yearling was still nursing. I was so upset and mad that I did not see this situation. (I was busy with 15 does that had kidded in the same week.) But, I should have known.

I separated the yearling from the mom (after the fact) She has been separated for 6 months, is 18 months old, preg. I put her back in her orig pen with her mom and 25 other does. Within 3 days, she was attempting to nurse again! Grrrrrrr.
    So, watch that nursing yearling when mom kids!

19. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Since mom had her kids in may, I am going to wait until may to breed her again along with 2 other yearlings (one of them being Jenny, her daughter thats nursing) that will be ready to be bred, so she wont be kidding until october 2020, so i dont have that to worry about lol.

20. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    In that case, since your doe won't be having any new kids to feed, I personally wouldn't worry too much about the kid that won't wean unless your doe is struggling to keep weight or any other health concerns.

I will definitely have to watch my little sneak-thief in May when her mama kids. All my other does kick their kids off in fall/winter so I don't usually have to worry about yearlings taking milk, but this particular mama is way too indulgent. The only other overly-indulgent mother I had ended up kicking her kid off about two months before she kidded again. It conveniently happened just before I built a new pen to separate them.