The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8.5 year old doe, recently had what I would consider an episode of choke when eating her hay pellets. She abruptly stopped eating, made little distress noises, shook her head a few times then went back to eating slowly. Then ate her hay with no issues . This happened three days in a row so I started soaking her pellets. Thinking her teeth might be hurting or‍♀ For about a week no repeat of this behavior until today with soaked food. She ate two bites and stopped walked quickly to me shaking her head and making little distress noises , i also smelled rumen gas very strongly. She burped a few more times and returned to her bucket. Nibbled half heartedly. Left about 1/3 of it and went to eat her hay. She lives on pasture 24/7 and seems to have no issues grazing. She’s a little thinner than I like going into winter but nothing serious , poops normal although smaller than her son who is Bigger than she is

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never had a vet that was specifically for goats, my horse vet would look them over. Never mentioned floating... I would be thrilled if this made her happier! And helped her pick up the weight she lost

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the vet out, she has lost at least one back tooth. I’ve been soaking her food which has made all the difference. However, I feel she needs a more support nutritionally as she is thin. What would be a good soakable option? She’s not a fan of equine senior nor calf manna.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Dyne is a thick liquid which has alot of nutrient value. Many people use it as a supplement. Another option are protien tubs. Both help give extra protien and nutrients.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Hmmmm... a pound of lespedeza and 5# of bermuda seems like it should support a healthy weight for her. However, Bermuda is one of the lower protein hays. Any option to add Timothy? I don't think I'd add alfalfa as she is getting plenty of legume intake with the lespedeza.

So the veterinarian didn't do any teeth filing? And she didn't have any other recommendations?

What is her FAMACHA score and when was she last dewormed?

This may just be age related weight loss but usually there is some cause.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had the vet take a poop sample for testing as well which came back negative. He believes the weight loss is age related and loss of tooth related. He didn’t feel she had any points on the remaining teeth that needed attention. He also didn’t feel she was “ to thin” but wouldn’t want to see her with any more weight loss. Is there no “equine senior” for picky old goats? I’m looking for something for weight gain/ support that can soak to mush with out doubling what she needs to eat. She honestly gets tired of slurping up the mash and walks away. Timothy was a no go, to stemy to chew( she left half chewed quids of it all over, orchard was softer but she was wasting a lot of that. Bermuda is the softest and there is no waste.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
All pelleted goat feeds will soak to mush and I definitely think with some trial and error you can find one that appeals to her. My hesitation would be avoiding a dairy pellet or a grower pellet as both would contain higher protein than what she needs. Which basically leaves you with sweet feeds.

No I don't know of any caprine senior foods. But many horse and cattle foods can be utilized for goats safely. I'd probably go for something with lower protein (14% ish) but higher fat (4% ish).

Perhaps if you list the stores or brands readily available to you, someone can make a specific suggestion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts