The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a few alpines :) they are great milkers, and very very hardy from my experience. Great mothers. And spunky as a goat could be. Mine are also extremely intelligent-almost to their detriment.lol. Opening gates, flipping the feeders over just cuz they're bored.... Lol. Mine also tend to be the queen bees. Honestly, two of mine are just ruthless bullies, but I still enjoy them. I think they are beautiful animals and are really the work horses of my little home dairy.

·
2,203 Posts
Alpines that we have are almost always the head honchos here. Great milkers, smooth clean milk, very hardy. Very bossy and almost borderline rude to the others. Sweet and affectionate to their humans though! Love them, just wish they weren't as sassy.

My bf calls them rude Saanens. Lol!

·
1,524 Posts
I think they are the best breed of goat. I used ot have them, started out with them and had them for years. Super milkers, sweet girls. Some can be a bit bossy, but the Lamancha I have now is worse than any of my Alpines used to be.

My ex sold my herd on me, and when I started back up, I couldn't find the quality Alpines I wanted in my area, so i went with other breeds. Someday I will go back to my Alpines when I can find what I want without travelling several hours.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
my alpine mix is a bully to the other goat, but she is a great mom, amazing on the lead unless distracted with food and CAN BE patient with me while I'm milking, as long as there's food in her bowl. she was very skittish when we got her as the breeder has so many goats she doesn't handle many of them anymore, so she's still a little standoff-ish.

can't wait to see the pictures!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts