Tell me about show wethers for 4-H

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Jan 4, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Any bucks thatare born from the Togg x Nubian breeding will be wethered and sold/given free to low income kids. Can these be used for 4-H kids to raise and show or only as companions/pets. I know nothing about the show circuit or 4-H. What goats are used in 4-H.

2. Candy

Candy New Member

I think the best way for you to get the info you want is to contact someone in the 4 H in your county. They can direct you to the leader of the 'Goat' group. They will be thrilled to hear from you!
    Candy :sun:

3. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    If they are wethered then they would have to be used as market goats and in my opinion they would be a little "too dairy" for a market goat. We cross our dairy breeds with boer goats to get more meatier goats to use as market wethers. That's just my opinion though :) There aren't any guidelines stating what breed a market goat has to be so they COULD be shown but I'm not sure how well they would do being a 100% dairy breed.

4. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    W have 4 wethers that my girls show for 4h. Our county really wants all of the kids to show what ever kind of goats that they have used for a project. Ours are all nigerian dwarf. The two older boys were put in a pack/companion class and the two younger were in dairy wether under 8 months. They invented the pack/companion because a dairy goat farmer would normally send wethers off to market. But we keep all of them as pets. Call yourextension office and they should be able to help you.

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I don't know what or how many kids this doe will have. I a hoping for does but planning on bucks. I don't know if I can slaughter them so I was thinking of4-H. I know there are a lot of kids out there who would show if they had the money to purchase the animal. Freebies would make this possible since its going to be hard to sell a buck animal of this parentage unless its just for a pet. The Togg was bred when I got her so I didn't have any say in the breeding. The next 4-H or market class breeding will be using my Boer buckling since hes got some huge ancestors in his bloodlines. The does from the Togg X Nubian breeding will be sold to offset the price of a good Boer doe to breed this awesome little guy with.