The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick up my three 8 wk old ND bucklings (will be whethers) this coming Tuesday, and here's what I have as far as food:

1 bale (for now) orchard grass hay (mostly free choice, I'll see how much they're interested in eating)
1 bag alfalfa pellets (for snack/to come into the barn at night)
1 bag Sweetlix Meatmaker Goat mineral (free choice)
Baking soda (will be free choice)
Dimethox to treat for coccidiosis

I'm considering buying Purina Goat Chow for their first 6ish months, just worried about feeding too much. They have been dam raised, so I don't think getting them on a bottle is going to happen. I've been told absolutely no grain by more people than not. They will be banded at 12 weeks.

I also would prefer the alfalfa chaffe over pellets, would it make a difference? It's just easier for me to re-use for my other animals if they don't want to finish the bag.

Any suggestions or changes let me know. This is just based on the research I've found but I've come across a lot of different opinions so I'm open to more experienced advice.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
I pick up my three 8 wk old ND bucklings (will be whethers) this coming Tuesday, and here's what I have as far as food:

1 bale (for now) orchard grass hay (mostly free choice, I'll see how much they're interested in eating)
1 bag alfalfa pellets (for snack/to come into the barn at night)
1 bag Sweetlix Meatmaker Goat mineral (free choice)
Baking soda (will be free choice)
Dimethox to treat for coccidiosis

I'm considering buying Purina Goat Chow for their first 6ish months, just worried about feeding too much. They have been dam raised, so I don't think getting them on a bottle is going to happen. I've been told absolutely no grain by more people than not. They will be banded at 12 weeks.

I also would prefer the alfalfa chaffe over pellets, would it make a difference? It's just easier for me to re-use for my other animals if they don't want to finish the bag.

Any suggestions or changes let me know. This is just based on the research I've found but I've come across a lot of different opinions so I'm open to more experienced advice.
Do not do free choice soda. They do not need it. They make their own. Have it on hand in case you need it though. Has the breeder not done cocci prevention on them? Ask the breeder for a garbage bag (not a scented one) of the hay they feed. Then mix it with the hay you have to make the transition easier on them. Wethers do not need grain but the alfalfa pellet is fine. Grain can cause stones and that is bad. Get some ammonium chloride in case you need it. Cause when you need it you need it right now and most stores do not carry it. Order it online. 8 weeks is fine to be weaned from milk and mama so do not worry bout even tryin a bottle on them. They most likely will not take it anyway.

·
Registered
30,613 Posts
Chaffhaye is great. I would hold off banding until 4-6 month old to allow more growth.
You also need your medicine cabinet stocked if not already

Thermometer ,Antibiotics ,Cd antitoxin,Tetanus antitoxin , banamine, Activated charcoal to name a few

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Do not do free choice soda. They do not need it. They make their own. Have it on hand in case you need it though.
:up:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm concerned I won't know or recognize when they need the baking soda which is why I was going to do free choice. I also do plan on getting some meds, but many I can only get with a prescription. I'm not sure if the breeder has done any cocci prevention for them but I am going to ask. I was planning on just doing my own anyway.

·
Fair-Haven
4,730 Posts
It seems we always need RX drugs when it's a holiday, 2 am etc. Establish a good working relationship with a vet. We always need one at some point. Pull the baking soda and keep on hand. You are defeating the purpose in leaving it out free choice. Ask about vaccinations, cocci or worm prevention. Ask for a bit of the hay and grain they were feeding.....

·
8,175 Posts
A good over the counter thing to have, even if you do not plan to vaccinate is CD ANTI toxin. (PBS, Jeffers, etc sells it). The vaccine is CDT, it is a toxoid, which helps give immunities to the clostridial diseases caused by over eating and eating the wrong things like chicken feed. (Plus it has a tetanus shot), but it takes 10 days for the body's immune system to kick in. The ANTI toxin helps with overeating diseases immediately and works for a few weeks.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
There is no reason why you cant feed grain. Grain encourages healthy rumen development. If you go on PennState you can see the rumen development in calves who were fed grain vs those who weren't

1 - 10 of 10 Posts