Tell Me More - Linear Appraisal

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by firelight27, Oct 24, 2010.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    While I have been doing goats for a couple of years now, I am still new to showing, etc. I have been learning plenty about conformation, udders, etc... However, I would love to have my herd appraised.

What is the process? How do you find out locations and dates? And what is the price per goat? Do you generally have to haul your goats to a specific location? (Potentially having to trailer several hours...) If you can't do that, what are the options/procedures for requesting special stops?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Here's a topic that may help you: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10229&p=130017&hilit=appraisal#p130017

As for your other questions:

What is the process? How do you find out locations and dates? You sign up through the ADGA before March. The stopping fee is $225 whether you have 2 goats to appraise or 200. If you don't feel like you can justify the stopping fee, then you can go on a Yahoo list or something and find out if there are any host herds near you. Host herds are breeders who have decided to have their farm open on appraisal day to any other breeder who would like to participate. If you want to go with the host herd route, then you need to contact the host herd and get permission to come to their appraisal, and you may have to split the stopping fee with them.

And what is the price per goat? You have your general stopping fee and then the price per goat is about $8 for adults and $6 for kids.

Do you generally have to haul your goats to a specific location? (Potentially having to trailer several hours...) If you can't do that, what are the options/procedures for requesting special stops? Only if you choose to participate at a host herd, but as long as you pay the $225 fee, they will stop at your farm. Generally appraisals take place May-September, and the ADGA has sort of a general schedule for each area of the country but you usually don't know the date until you get the official paper stating the date of your appraisal and who your appraiser will be. If you do not want to be appraised by the specific appraiser chosen for your region you can cancel your appraisal but you will not get your stopping fee back.

Any other ?? feel free to ask, I've done it twice :)