The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once upon a time, it was time to give copper bolus.
Well I had been familiar with giving our dog with sharp pointy teeth an antibiotic just putting it in his throat and closing his mouth.
I thought, heck i don't need a pill tube thing. I can just open a goats mouth and put the bolus in throat, close mouth and they'll swallow.
Easy peasy...........

One crunched finger later, I learned (with my finger still intact gratefully) just use the pill tube thingy, you'll be glad ya did.
IMG_1727.jpg

·
Registered
789 Posts
My doe, Pippi, uses her mouth like a dog. I have a video of her playing with a feed sack. She also really likes buckets. I have a small plastic bucket with a handle that I sometimes feed her from. She recently discovered that the handle makes a really fun sound when she waves the bucket around. So when she finishes eating, she often picks up her bucket and shakes it up and down, just to hear the handle clatter. She tosses feed bowls, too. If she finishes eating before I finish milking her, she picks up her dish, waves it around, and throws it on the floor. Then she cranes her neck and grabs as many other things as she can reach, and throws them on the floor, too. If, heaven forbid, I feed her something she doesn't like, the FULL feed dish gets tossed.

·
Registered
787 Posts
One of my does was a bottle baby, so she is spoiled rotten. Well when she was 3 months pregnant, she squeezed out of a hole under the fence that was (I kid you not) 6 inches tall and wide. I found her in the feed room eating grain. Luckily she didn’t eat to much.
Another on is when I bought a new doe home, after quarantine, I introduced her to the herd. Later I found out that she knows how to open gates, letting ALL the goats out into the yard. I found my big ol’ stinky buck on the front porch. Then he gave me the most innocent look like “hello there! Where’d you come from?”

·
Registered
789 Posts
One of my does was a bottle baby, so she is spoiled rotten. Well when she was 3 months pregnant, she squeezed out of a hole under the fence that was (I kid you not) 6 inches tall and wide. I found her in the feed room eating grain. Luckily she didn't eat to much.
Another on is when I bought a new doe home, after quarantine, I introduced her to the herd. Later I found out that she knows how to open gates, letting ALL the goats out into the yard. I found my big ol' stinky buck on the front porch. Then he gave me the most innocent look like "hello there! Where'd you come from?"
Haha! When my goats get out, they usually wind up in the yard. We have a lilac bush, which they KNOW they aren't supposed to eat. I can look out the window, see my goats patiently wandering the yard, nibbling grass as they wait for me to put then back where they belong. Then, as soon as I step outside, the race is on! They will hustle over to the lilac bush and begin eating it as quickly as they can, until I get out there and drag them away. They have to be doing it on purpose. Maybe they think my frustration is funny.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
My doe, Pippi, uses her mouth like a dog. I have a video of her playing with a feed sack. She also really likes buckets. I have a small plastic bucket with a handle that I sometimes feed her from. She recently discovered that the handle makes a really fun sound when she waves the bucket around. So when she finishes eating, she often picks up her bucket and shakes it up and down, just to hear the handle clatter. She tosses feed bowls, too. If she finishes eating before I finish milking her, she picks up her dish, waves it around, and throws it on the floor. Then she cranes her neck and grabs as many other things as she can reach, and throws them on the floor, too. If, heaven forbid, I feed her something she doesn't like, the FULL feed dish gets tossed.
You mean like this? :D

I've had a few goats that liked to toss their bucket on the ground when it's empty, and sometimes when it's full. The goat I'm milking now is being good for the moment, but last November when I was in Texas and my husband was milking her, she was throwing the whole full bucket on the floor every day. He figured out how to fasten it to the stanchion. Our milking parlour is in our basement so we really can't have grain scattered everywhere inside our house. We get enough mice without offering them a daily buffet!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
One of my does was a bottle baby, so she is spoiled rotten. Well when she was 3 months pregnant, she squeezed out of a hole under the fence that was (I kid you not) 6 inches tall and wide.
Reminds me of the time my big pack wether, Cuzco, crawled into a chicken coop through the chicken door. That goat was 38" tall at the withers and weighed 200 lbs. Cuzco lost one of his horns in an accident involving an out-of-control Border Collie and a 30-foot cliff. Without the span of two horns to block his entrance, he discovered a whole new world of adventure! If he could squeeze his head through, the rest would follow. I always held my breath thinking he'd get a shoulder or hip stuck, or that he's scrape his pizzle off, but like a kid squeezing out of the birth canal, he'd slip right on through. Came in handy in the Utah slot canyons. Not only could Cuzco fit into canyons so narrow that two-horned goats couldn't go, but there were a couple of spots where boulders had fallen down and gotten stuck just a few inches above the canyon floor. Us humans could crawl under on our bellies, but most goats didn't know quite what to do. Not Cuzco. As long as we removed his pack, he could shimmy right under like a commando crossing under enemy lines. He was quite a goat!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Gizmo was 6 weeks old and discovered that he could "bounce" litterally 5 feet. So thinking he was superman he stood neext to tge 5 foot stump and took a bounce. Did you know goats to actually splay their legs? Gizmo landed just like a calf on a frozen lake. Flat on his belly. The next day... he walked to the stump. He head butted it 3 times and till today walks wide berths around it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You mean like this? :D

I've had a few goats that liked to toss their bucket on the ground when it's empty, and sometimes when it's full. The goat I'm milking now is being good for the moment, but last November when I was in Texas and my husband was milking her, she was throwing the whole full bucket on the floor every day. He figured out how to fasten it to the stanchion. Our milking parlour is in our basement so we really can't have grain scattered everywhere inside our house. We get enough mice without offering them a daily buffet!
Yup!
I need to fasten my milk stand bowl down, too, but it will be such a disappointment to her.
I always love your Cuzco stories!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,056 Posts
I have a buck, Phantom, that sometimes gets pushed out of the shelter in the rain by my other buck. Usually I am able to stop this from happening by shutting the boys in before it rains, but one day I was a bit late and Phantom got somewhat wet in a rain shower we had. Since I know that goats should not be wet, I got a big pink bath towel to try and dry him off. I have no idea what made me think that Phantom was going to want any part of this. I grabbed him by the collar and pulled out the towel to start drying him and he just took off. The strangest thing was I didn't let go. I skied along side him on my knees and was drug through about ten feet of mud before it dawned on me to let go.:dazed: Nobody was there to see, but if they had I'm sure it would have looked quite ridiculous! :haha:

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
My ND doe May is a just little chubby. When she came into the milk room and jumped up on the milk stand, she was excited and hopped up and down the milk table. I joked that she needed to exercise and do it 5 times while I retrieve the chair and her food bowl. It became part of her routine, and every day to this day, even if my brain is somewhere else, she religiously does the jumperoo as I call it. I imagine it is fun for her too!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Cuzco could always get out of whatever he crawled into, but Finn not so much. Late last summer I moved my two bucklings into a pen with Finn and Sputnik. I only had two shelters in the pen, and Finn and Sputnik have a nasty habit of taking one shelter apiece and laying across the doorway so no one else can gain entrance. Since the bucklings were much smaller than the big wethers, I put a half-door across one of the shelters which made the entrance about knee-high. Well, Finn just had to prove he still owned that shed. I was cleaning pens when I heard this pathetic, whimpering little "Baa-aa?"

I turned this way and that, looking for the source of the sound. No goats were in sight. All were out foraging in the scrub oak and had been gone for quite some time. I thought I was mistaken and went back to my work. Then I heard it again. A plaintive little noise coming from... somewhere. I looked, saw nothing, and went back to work. But when I heard the pitiful sound for a third time I put down my pitchfork and started hunting around. As a walked past the low entrance to the new buckling shed, I saw a pink nose poke out of the hole. Finn had managed to crawl in there and turn around but he was afraid to come back out! Luckily the low doorway was constructed to be totally removable so I didn't have to go fetch my tools. I just removed the pins to free Finn from his prison. Luckily he's pretty smart. He never tried crawling in a second time. Sputnik is smarter though. He never went in to begin with!

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I have a buck Phantom that sometimes gets pushed out of the shelter in the rain by my other buck. Usually I am able to stop this from happening by shutting the boys in before it rains, but one day I was a bit late and Phantom got somewhat wet in a rain shower we had. Since I know that goats should not be wet, I got a big pink bath towel to try and dry him off. I have no idea what made me think that Phantom was going to want any part of this. I grabbed him by the collar and pulled out the towel to start drying him and he just took off. The strangest thing was I didn't let go. I skied along side him on my knees and was drug through about ten feet of mud before it dawned on me to let go.:dazed: Nobody was there to see, but if they had I'm sure it would have looked quite ridiculous! :haha:
(rofl):imok:(embarrassed) Especially with him wearing the pink towel!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have a doe named Pixie, when she is done with her feed she will unhook it from the board and stand on it and "protest":heehee: It's cute, but I have learned to get the feeder before she does that. She also does it with their water bucket(doh)

·
Registered
517 Posts
My doe Willow. A couple weeks ago I was out sitting with them while they ate off a fallen tree. Willow walked up to a sketchy part of the trunk, eyeing it ... I said ' that would not be very smart! ' She jumps up, slips, somersaults on the way down, and ends up sprawled in the snow. I said ' bet you won't try that again!' Nope. She turns around, jumps back up, looks at me to make sure I saw, and continues on her way. I laughed so hard!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Destiny has this trick I taught her. I usually pick fresh leaves for her and Gizmo as a treat. So from a young age I taught her to run around the tree trunk 3 times before she gets her treat. Having been away from the herd for a few days I forgot she did this.
So the other day I watched her tgrough the fence. She was franrically running around the tree and looking around. By the 10th time she sat down like a dog and really resembled Eor from Winnie the Poo. Then it dawned on me.... she was hoping some one would reward her for her trick.
Gizmo thought she had gone made and watched from his perch on the rock. It looked like he was shaking his head at her hopeless behavior

1 - 17 of 17 Posts