tell me

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Dec 14, 2008.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    What's up with this picture? Should these animal be in the freezer, sale paper or okay to stay in my yard? I learned that they should have two teats per, but they are here already. They are from unknown places and not a dairy breed. Tell me what ya'll think.

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    They look like bifurcal teats to me. Well, the second one definitely looks like bifurcal. Which in a registry (or the ones I know of) is disqualifying. But since this isn't a dairy breed. . . .

If you want to keep her, there is nothing wrong with that. Having the extra teats will not harm her. (I'm assuming this is a female?? :shrug: ) But just don't sell the babies as anything but pet quality or freezer.

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Are they Boer goats?
    Some Boer goats have four teats, as far as I know it won't disqualify the goat if you're showing it, but I've heard before that some shows are trying to stay away from four teats because they think it is a breed flaw? I do not raise Boers, but I'm sure someone with them could answer you're question better, just thought I would tell you what I've heard..

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Countryboy you shore nuff got yourself some defintie Boer ladies there!
    The first pic on top those teats are clean. Its hard to tell with her bottom set as you have her presented.
    The other doe looks like she has a fish teat on one side.
    Yes they can have 2 clean teats per side. 4 total clean teats is actually preferred in South Africa. More room at the table!
    They freak dairy folks out!
    So long as they are seperate it is not a breed flaw :wink:

5. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I know I need to get a milk goat, but can they be milked?

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I know one of the other members on here Keren, from Australia has had success with milking Boer and Boer crosses for milk; although they obviously would not give as much as a pure dairy goat, I know it worked well for her.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As far as I know, any doe can be milked, though with meat breeds , keep in mind that the udder is not what they are bred for, example...my mom has a Boer/Nubian cross doe and her udder is awful...she came to my mom with a 6 month old doeling that still nursed, the dam's udder was not attached very well and though there were 2 teats functioning, she had numerous "bumps" of non functioning teats...her teats were barely off the ground because of the poor attachment. I'm sure that not all Boer does are bad with the udder, you will find that out when you decide to breed your does and they freshen...you'll see how the udder is at that time and decide wether or not you can milk them.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    man, I wish I had some photos, recently I have milked two Boers (actually one FB and one high percentage), but Matilda (FB) hung herself and Shirley (percentage) is at a friends place now feeding her spare kids.

Okay, so to answer your first question about the extra teats. It depends on what you want to do with these does. If they are unregistered, it doesnt immediately disqualify them. If they will be suckling their kids, then those teats should be functional - I have some with far worse that manage to raise huge thumping kids no problems. If you were wanting to milk them, yes it can be done and I have milked does with teats like that before, it is a little more tricky but once you get the hang of it you are fine. One I have done, her teats were so close I milked the two teats together with one squeeze. Another doe, I would milk one teat, and the other would squirt me in the face lol it took me a while to figure out how to hold that one just right so both teats would squirt into the jug.

To the second question, can you milk a Boer/Boer cross yep I've done it before plenty of times. I know someone who has a commercial dairy of FB Boers for cheese production, milks them with machines and so forth. man, I wish I had some photos, recently I have milked two Boers (actually one FB and one high percentage), but Matilda (FB) hung herself and Shirley (percentage) is at a friends place now feeding her spare kids. Matilda has one good teat and one calabash teat - I was milking the calabash side - tricky to figure out but once I knew what I was doing, it was easy. Shirley has got a GREAT udder - better than some dairy udders here.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    2 "clean" separate teats ....with "working orifices" ...."per side"... is permitted for show animals....now in the American boer goat Association....they changed the boer standard...
    and other associations changed as well....It is not just preferred in south Africa....Boers do have more than 2 kids ...so we convinced and fought the boer goat association's.. to change the boer standard... if they have more teats to feed their kids....you don't have to bottle feed a kid or two.....It's a blessing that All 3 or 4 can nurse......... at the same time....and a blessing that the associations do recognize this now......

no not all boers have bad udders.....

Fish teats are really hard to milk.....when you try to milk it ...one squirts into the milk bucket...and the other may squirt in your face or on you.....not fun.....You could breed them and possibly get doelings with better teats...but there's also a chance that they deliver bad treated kids to....
    Are these young does sisters? How is the teat structure of their sire and dam...?

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Pam, you reminded me that I wanted to add in my personal experience fish teats/poor teats in general are not highly heritable, and my does with fish teats when joined to a clean teated buck produce clean teated daughters. I have also found that it is reasonably breed for four teats rather than two. Two years of selecting for this trait and now probably 90% of my last bunch of weaner does have 4 clean teats. I didnt have any fish/poor teats in this lot.

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good stuff you all.... I have tried to milk a couple of my Boers...I have had the same experience as Kelebek....milk in my face and everwhere but in the pail. Those teats arent created for humans thats for sure!

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hey, wait a minute - I only got milk in my face from a "normal" teated goat when I first learned how to milk - how did you all know that - DH didn't even know - :ROFL:

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yeppers.....everything can be .........give or take.......it is true...see that.... there are good odds there..for countryboy's does.......LOL :)

:ROFL:

14. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I think she got mixed up wih Keren?

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's funny! My siblings and I try to "shoot" milk into the one another's milk. . . . really stupid, but it's actually kinda fun. :)