The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,.... was just on-line reading the invite from Rex,... so here we are. We know many of the packers already located here but for those of you who may not know us, here goes. We are located in CA, just south of Yosemite National Park at 3,00 elevation. Our goats (currently down to 19) have brush and trees on 7.5 acres to brouse on, with another 20 acres across the main road to keep them busy. We breed our own packers which are crossbreds between Alpine/Saaneen/Oberhasli with one strand having 1/16 - to 1/4 Nubian (due to the heat our boys need to deal with here and when in use in Nevada (one of our favorite packing areas). We have been breeding and using goats for packing over the last 11 years now and before that raised milking goats. That's enough for now, Shuteye Packgoats - Rodney and Alice York. Talk with you all soon!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We sold seven packers this past summer bringing our total goat population all the way down to five. Five?? wow..... I haven't been down to five goats in over 10 years. We've had as many as 50 which I can tell you is WAY too many feet to trim! Besides the five packers we have a couple of horses, two dogs and some transient cats. We're fortunate to live in a great place with lots of elbow room and some great areas for goat packing! Here's a few pictures from the back yard.
[attachment=3:3vwb016o]View from Home.jpg[/attachment:3vwb016o][attachment=2:3vwb016o]Avalance.JPG[/attachment:3vwb016o][attachment=1:3vwb016o]December.jpg[/attachment:3vwb016o]

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Welcome!

Hello everyone and thanks for the invitation. My wife, daughter and I own Crooked Pine Ranch (www.crookedpineranch) and Great Goat Gear (www.greatgoatgear.com). We have 65 (or so) alpines, saanens, and nubians on the ranch. Several of our boys are pack goats or cart goats and are, of course, some of my best friends. My wife is a goat harness maker through Great Goat Gear and makes my harnesses and packs. Just had a new Saanen buckling born last night....future cart boy! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, we have 4 goats, 3 horses, 2 dogs, and a cat to rule them all...
The goats live in my backyard, the horses at a friend's house where I can ride around a small lake, the dogs indoors and the cat wherever he wishes, usually outside.... :roll:
Walking or riding from home has become dangerous, lots of traffic but the goats are used to it. And we don't have enough room for the horses here, hence boarding them elsewhere. But it's all good.
Rebecca Stacey
Woodpecker Hollow
Fallon, NV

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Random cute photos:
The top photo is SImon Doll bench pressing a four month old kid, Boer/ Saanen/Alpine. He's one we are using as a buck this year.

This is Laura Doll's son and one of their toggs kicking back this summer. This is up the Sandy River crossing on the Ramona Falls Trail just off the PCT.

The third photo is my driveway tonight. I was hoping a goat would come out but they are all buried in the straw.

Right now we are between breeding season and kidding season. When kidding season hits we'll be swamped but right now I'm enjoying the holidays and going dog shopping. I want to train a service dog and Bob is 9 now and thinks I'm silly for even asking him to learn new tricks, he has plenty of perfectly good ones already, thank you very much. My antique dog Sam had to be put down this week so I'm looking for another paragon like Bob only younger and not set in his ways.

When kidding season hits we will have upwards of 40 goats here. Fortunately my husband retires this year so I will have help. Once we get the kids going it will be time for hiking season. Can't wait!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
We live in mid-coast Maine in the little town of Hope. I have raised and trained Morgan horses for 40 years. We are down to 2 a stud and a mare. Got interested in pack animals 2 years ago as a friend of mine wanted to hike some of the Appalachian Trail and we are too old to carry a pack. I went on line searching for pack animals and until that time never new goats were used. I went out and bought 2 three month old kids. They are half Alpine and half Boer. The older one now two and a half tapes 150 pounds. I walk with them reularly. They follow along like dogs. I have used peanuts in the shell to train them. If we are walking along a road and a car approaches I just say come and they come to me. At that point I reward them with a peanut. Have not put any weight on them yet but have hiked as much as seven miles with them which took 3 hours. I plan to make my own pack saddles, I made flouresent blankets for them so I could take them out during hunting season. I'd sent a picture if I knew how.
We also have 2 cats and 4 Campbell ducks. Bernie

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi all. I'm glad that you've set up this forum. Rex, what a beautiful place you live in! And Hi Rodney. I hope you can get out here some time for a hunt or a hike.

My wife, Lia, and I live in SW New Mexico, near the Gila Wilderness. It's goat, and goatpacker heaven. We have 3 young packgoats. They will be 3 years old in March. They are Pinto, Apache, and Moose. And what great buddies they are! They love to go for day hikes, but real paradise is packing in and camping out together.

Here's a couple of pics:[attachment=2:1p1n5jkr]IMG_9128_1.JPG[/attachment:1p1n5jkr][attachment=1:1p1n5jkr]IMG_9092_1.JPG[/attachment:1p1n5jkr]

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
new to the board...

I am new to the board and new to the goat packing world... I am 15 years old and have had goats for 2 years now, I live In chappell Nebraska just north of the colorado border,, you will probable be hearing a lot out of me... Many ???'s that I will probable need answered.. thanks

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of experienced people on here who should be able to answer any questions you have and give some good advice. Make sure to ask any questions in the appropriate forum so anyone with the same type of question later can find the answers easier.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi,

well, it seems I should write about our critters as well.

We have currently 17 goats: 4 does, 3 intact bucks (two to become wethers as soon as the weather allows sedation), 10 wethers. We're awaiting lambs from all 4 does this spring.

4 sheep: mixed breeds, bought them as training group for our young herding dogs but they are so easy to handle that they have created a place of their own in our hearts by now.

3 cats which rule house and garden

6 dogs: two old Dalmatians, 3 Australian Shepherds and 1 English Shepherds. The herding dogs help with the goats and sheep. Although the goats are very well bonded, it's easier to walk with the whole herd when there are one or two dogs around to remind them that they have to behave. The dogs keep the goats out of the planted fields, orchards and gardens that we pass on the walks and hikes. They also are a great help in making feeding time a very relaxed exercise. With their help I was this year for the first time able to keep a doe in milk and giving her extra feed without having to take her out of the herd (which in the past resulted in several wethers jumping fence in order to get to the goat outside). Now I feed inside the fence, the dog keeps the goats that aren't supposed to get extra feed away and the goats that need supplementation (kids, lactating mothers) get their extra ration without any disturbance.

This image was taken from our living room.

dto., in summer

almost all of them

these are the "first" goats in our packstring

years ago, the first Aussie still young and the Dalmatians still fit

second Aussie and me at herding lessons

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sounds like your dogs really earn their keep. The Aussies have the instincts you need, but do the Dalmations have any natural abilities that are useful?

My old dog, Petie, is pretty good at camp security duties, keeping unauthorized personnel (rabbits, ravens, coyotes, etc) chased off, and he enjoys keeping the goats chased away from the kitchen area. Other than that he's just good company, but not much good for anything else. Here he is.[attachment=0:2pr21nc8]IMG_8981_1.JPG[/attachment:2pr21nc8]

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi,

the Dalmatians where here before the goats came. They were riding companion dogs. But we sold all the horses four years ago and now they are on retirement (14 and 10 years old). I do some tracking with the 10 yo, the 14 yo has back problems and can't navigate on uneven ground any longer. She enjoys occupying the arm chair and being petted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok, here goes. We are a family of 5 and we got started in dairy goats almost 2 years ago when milk prices got really high. My thoughts were that it would be cheaper to feed a couple of goats than buy milk, well, it was at first :D The we got hooked on the goats! Now with 9 goats (6 dairy and 1 wether), and more babies on the way this spring, it defenitly is not cheaper any more! :lol: So for our critters we have the 9 goaties, planning on keeping some wethers this year (did two breedings with a nice buckling out of Charlie Goggins lines), 3 dogs (german shepherd, australian shepherd and a dalmation/basset cross), 4 cats, 1 parrot in the house, 4 outside aviaries of birds, and 2 guinea pigs. Two of the kids are in their second year of 4-H with goats, mostly dairy, though this year they did add meat goat and pack goat, which brings up that since we have got totally hooked on hiking and packing, my husband and I are doing pack goat with our 4-H this year. Then, since I am a glutten for punishment, a friend of mine who has been packing for quite a few years and myself started up a local pack goat club in our area. Did I metnion that I love goats and packing :lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm Annie... my better half is Bill... we're in western Michigan. Not too many goatpackers around here like out west but we enjoy it anyway. :) We have 4 children... one still living at home. Currently have 4 goats (hopefully some kids due in March 2009), 3 dogs ( a red heeler, a poodle and a den terrier), 2 parakeets and about 40 rabbits ( Mini Rex and Californians)

Seeing as how this is a goat forum figured I would post a few cute pics of our goats :)

Jack smiling for the camera or pretending to be Donkey from the Shrek movie lol

Ondave's Reggie but we just call him Goober... he's all poofy cuz it's cold out today

Sugar, our milk goat, being silly

and last but definitely not least... Andy, our little Fainter wether :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all, I'm 60 years old and out of shape. I have been married to the same wonderfull , understanding, woman for 36 years.( Boy did she role her eyes around when I said Packgoats ) We have 2 sometimes raised kids (30 and 27). We have 8 wethered goats on 5 acres in a small little town 15 miles west of Port Angeles, Wa. and if I was more computer savy, I would show you all some pictures of us, my hunting trips and a wonderful trip into the Frank Church Wilderness last fall. It was the BIG HORN Crags and I'm going back again. Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live in Olympia Wa and have only been doing the packgoat thing for a year but completely jumped in with both feet. I have a wife who thinks I'm nuts (along with half my buddies :D ). 2 daughters who are into FFA and 4H, the goats work out well for that. I had my learning curve shortened by joining the evergreen packgoat club. We have 2 blue heelers, 1 little kick dog, a buncha cats, 2 adult alpines, 1 alpine saanen cross, 1 adult Ober and two 2 year old obers. I started looking at packgoats a couple of years ago b/c backpacking was starting to get a little tough, especially when hunting.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
My name is Mike and I live in N. Ca. We have 9 goats, mostly dairy. One of my daughters has a toggenburg wether that is 10 months old. We are hoping to keep some wethers this year. We hike and do a little light packing, mostly day pack/hikes. I'm looking forward to doing some over night packing this summer. We are fairly new to goat, only having them a little over a year now. My own personal goat is an alpine doeling who everyone says is spoiled rotten, Just because she sits with me in my chair in the house, come on! She has never pottied in the house so far, thank goodness! She likes to go for rides in my pickup and lays real nice on the seat and looks out the window. It's great to see the double takes people do, LOL!
I also have an australian shepherd dog and a Indian Ringneck named Sonny.
We just got a cart for carting with the goats last month and I made the leather harness my self. It turned out pretty decent.
Looking forward to getting to know you guys.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
My love of goats started in the year 2000. A new friend of mine told me about goat packing. My husband and I are avid hunters. Our home is on one acer with a convenance against goats. After 7 years of wanting a goat I decided to ask all the neighborhood for permission. This took 6 months and I was good to go. I fell in love with Hobbs. He was a 1 year old weather who lived 1000 miles aways in California. It seem liked he should be my boy. After fencing my yard and building a barn.
I found myself doing a 2000 mile drive last Christmas. When spring 08
came I bought 2 babie obers from the same breeder. They are gorgeous, and loads of fun. They have tought me alot. All the books people have written were great. I had no experience with any farm animals. Every book and article I could find I read.
Good book list:
Practical Goat Packing
The Pack Goat
Diet for Weathers
Diseases of the Goat
Pack Goat Manuel
Field First Aid for Goats
Goat Tracks Magazine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.