Temperature question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HoosierShadow, Jun 26, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    What is a normal temperature for a goat? <we have boers if that makes a difference>.

I have read a few different websites and they all say different temps.

At what temp do you start to worry and give meds?

Just wondering. We have a doe on penicillin to help her fight hoof rot <she's had the lousiest luck the past 2 weeks>, and he's been taking her temp, so this got us wondering what was good, and what was bad.

Thanks!

2. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I know what you mean. I've read 101-103, and then 101-104. So over 103 I would see if there's anything else going on that makes you think she's not feeling good. Most people are 98.6 and I always run 99.6 while feeling great. It was good in school for an excuse to go home! :wink: Normal is just "average". If you have one that always reads 103.7 or something, that might just be normal for her.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    In the winter when the weather is cold I would consider 104F to be high...in the summer it can be a normal temp for a goat that has been out browsing in the sun. I agree with perfect7 to watch for other signs that there may be a problem if you suspect the temp is to high.

My goats are almost always in the 101-103 range...usually 102 point something :)

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Same here, around 102 something.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My girls are normally around 102.4....now, the 3 black girls are a bit higher at 103 being the norm when I take temps in the heat of the day.

6. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    My goats run about a degree different - the black Nubian (who is a solid girl) runs higher at about 104.

My S. Saanen who is mostly white with beige spots (and who is underweight still) runs about 103.2

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    best to think 101-103 is normal

but I second that fact that summertime and darker goats, hot days etc can be the cause of a normal temp being closer to 104

But if my goats go above 102 I know somethign is up unless the temps outside are like in the 90's because thats how mine average. Knowing their normal temps on good days is something everyone should do.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much everyone I appreciate it! and hopefully anyone else looking for this info will find it useful too!