temperatures

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by happyhogs, Dec 28, 2009.

1. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    I am worried about my two ND/pygmy cross boys...probably unnecessarily but am looking for re-assurance or guidance. It is dropping down to about minus five degrees celsius overnight and I wondered if this was too cold for them?

They have a goatshed to retreat to but it has an open door and I do not shut it at all so it is open to the elements at all times, although is sheltered enough not to catch the wind much. The shed has a layer of woodshavings, soft hay shreds and an overlay of straw on the floor and this is about a foot thick.

Diet-wise, they have a handful of goat mix morning and evening, as much hay as they want and the opportunity to browse when I leash-walk them twice a day...though pickings are sparse as most trees have lost their leaves.

The boys' coats have thickened enormously in recent weeks and they seem alert, lively and aren't complaining but I worry that an animal native to Africa will suffer in our weather and although they seem fine, I would not want their systems to be working over-time to keep them this way while actually they made a slow but barely noticable decline....as is often the case with some animals.

I live in England and I realise many of you guys get far more extreme temps but I guess its the fact that I don't shut the shed door at all that is concerning me. It is totally impractical to do so as the goats live at the school where I work, not on my property, and if I shut them in, they would be shut in for far too long each day in what is quite a small shed.

So, am I being overly concerned? Will they be OK in such temps without the door closed on them or should I invest in some goat coats or maybe lay blankets for them?

Any advice would be much appreciated! xxx

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know, I believe they will be fine. The problem comes when the wind blows. If the wind blows, is the goat shed in a position that it does not blow in there? Make sure they have warm water even if that means you have to take it to them several times a day.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They'll be fine, they have each other for warmth and what you can do if the door can't be closed is to take a rug or heavy canvas and tack it to the inside top of the door frame, this will keep out enough wind and they will learn how to move it aside to go in....I have a feedsack on my girls door way now and its blowing, snowing and 20*F

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others ...they will be fine...just keep the wind from blowing directly on them... :wink: :hug:

5. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Thanks guys, you have been hugely reassuring! The shed is positioned so that wind comes at the back of it or down one side rather than across the front but I like the heavy canvas idea so will be popping to the DIY merchant for some!

Thank you soooo much xxx

6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Good idea with the canvas. Goats need a draft free place with dry bedding that they can retreat too. I'm sure they will be just fine :)

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep, if you cant find canvas, I use huge gunny sacks stapled over their doors, they learn pretty quickly how to get through.
    -5 seems cold to people i guess, but goats have all of that fluffy coat like you said and they use it! :thumb: