Temporary Buck Trade. . . . .;) Just an Idea

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Okay, I was just thinking . . . .*I know, I know, I don't have a buck yet but. . . *

What if:

Two Breeders would trade bucks for a season. . . . . . . . if both breeders have some lines/conformation they like about each others bucks?
  2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    As long as everything was coshier - I don't see an issue with it

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We do that a lot around here. There are not a lot of good quality Cashmere bucks around and you can only breed so many to your own herd.
  4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i'm doing that tw o years from now with a buck in Fairbanks, he's from WA.
  5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would definately do that if I knew they would be well taken care of and there was some kind of contract.
  6. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Well......being that i'm sure my folks would laugh their heads off if I even asked about bringing a Nigerian buck on the place, i'd have to say the buck would have to be LaMancha-and with really good lines from a well managed herd. Although I would be set better now to go in the minis then when I began my mini ober herd. I haven't traded breedings with the LaManchas yet. I'd have to know without a shadow of a doubt that the buck was disease free before allowing it onto the place.
  7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would try it. As long as there was a good contract signed and I'd know my buck would be in a great home.
  8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

My friend and i do that we tend to keep bucks two years, and then have two bucks at a time. Sometimes when i got my original buck back i will breed him back to his great grand daughters.
    but we keep a closed herd otherwise, i dont breed to outside people. And we do strict CAE testing.
  9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i have two and my friend has two

once i have 3 or 4 daughters though i sell my buck and get a new one
  10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

With such a small herd i tend to do that too but with the trading i can get more daughters on the ground, so he can prove himself more. and i can usually see udders before i sell him. I usually get more interest this way.