Temporary goat enclosure?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jaytori220, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    My family and I are going to be doing a fundraiser to help my husbands grandfather to afford his cancer treatments in a few weeks. We are doing a yard sale and car wash and some other things. I had an idea to bring my 2 friendliest goats for the kids to pet and give treats. I do not have any kind of temporary confinement for them. Can anyone share any ideas that I can use for a temp confinement that the goats can roam around while the kids pet and associate with them? I prefer it to be inexpensive but I will take in all ideas. :idea:
    Thanks guys!

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    a fenced backyard. We jsut did the same thing for a neighbor here. They goats were great and didn't have enough time to get into too much trouble. Or get some t-bars and rolled fence from the hardware store and make a small 15x15 area for em. you will just have to be near by to keep an eye on em.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    If they were supervised you could tether them.

other wise you could you hog panels to make a little pen.

4. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    That would be great but we are doing it at the family church and there is no fenced in area.

5. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Thethering is a great cheap idea! But both goats are hornless. How would I tether them without them slipping out of the collar? Maybe make the collar tighter?

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah

collars shouldnt be loose as I've learned. but you should be able to fit you hand underneath it

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    If they are tethered you are running the risk of getting human children's legs tangled.
    What about clipping together 4 hog panels?

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use dog exersize pens but if you dont already have somethign like that it can be expensive. They carry them at petsmart

tying them up is certainly an idea and you can charge like 1.00 to feed a goat and have something that wont hurt them to eat all day long and have little dixie cups with like a small amount of grain in it or animal crackers etc.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    also you can use zip ties and tie any bit of fencing together you may have like welded wire fencing. Then use some kind of post either T-posts or even wooden posts, zip tie the wire to it and then walla you have a small enclosure.

10. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Yes I didnt think of that and am looking for a used one on Craigslist. I could use it anyway for other things.

I thought of asking a donation fee of any amount for feed and pet the goats. I was wondering if doing that would bring in more money then people seeing a fixed fee. Usually a donation I always give more then what someone would ask as a flat fee.... :wink:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes that is true

I would still think about putting out the cups and the grain or treats so that it is a set amount and the poor kids dont get to much.

12. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    I would use cattle panels and baling twine. That's what my pens are made of.

Cattle panels are about $15-16 each, you would need at least three, preferably four. Baling twin is free! Four panels should run you around $65 or so. Lots cheaper than an exersize pen. And they can be put to good use for other things after you use them.

You can transport them in the back of a pick up by bending them in a half circle (think Little House on the Prairie) and tying them down. You don't need a trailer. Four fit just about perfectly, any more than that and they aren't flexible enough.

13. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ask for donation to interact with the animals, but charge like $1 to feed them.