The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
14,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts on this. We need a summer doe shelter for 6-8 Boer does, but I honestly don't know if I want something permanent or not. I'm considering buying a carport with sides. We have had a cattle panel shelter in the past that was awesome, but honestly don't want to go that route anymore, it worked fine for years. I was also considering a portable shelter like shelter logic type structures that we can put up and take down, etc. but my only concern would be the wind or having to protect the sides so they don't chew, rub or tear the cover up.

Basically I want something simple, not permanent and don't want to spend a lot of $$ as we have so many other projects to get done. My husband is totally against building anything else on our small place, but with my plans for my daughters summer show goats, the adult does are going to need a place to sleep this summer.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The shelter logic car port type shelters are not going to be easy to put up and down.
They make those things to stay put. I mean it can be done but it’s going to be a chore. The wind honestly probably won’t be a issue as long as they are anchored down well. I use Tposts on every rib and have gotten up to 70mph wind, it creeks but has never flown away or any of the pipes bend like those cheap ones.
I haven’t had the goats eat the tarps but they have rubbed on them and ended up ruining the tarps so you would defiantly want to put panels around it to keep that from happening.
But what about something like this? I want to get this for the boys pen
Light Product Automotive lighting Automotive design Line
right now they just have a board that runs from one side to the other and I laid plyboard on the top. The only issue is they love to rub their horns on the board and I usually have to move everything back in place daily. But it’s easy to put up and down when I take their whole pen down to clean.
If you want something a little more solid what about building basically a frame of a huge box and then you can either put some plyboard on top or even staple some shade cloth on the top.

·
14,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I like that a lot! Not sure my husband will go for the price though and not have a completed project. I will definitely look at it and get some ideas. Technically we really need something that has the sides enclosed and one end the more I think about it as we get some strong thunderstorms and don't want the goats to get wet.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
A cattle panel shelter is really similar to the shelter logic things. If you want something temporary it's probably going to have to be a shelter involving tarps

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I use PolyDome calf hutches. They're not exactly cheap, but they last forever. But for eight goats you'd need like 3 of them. With six goats you could probably get away with just two. But you can't collapse them so I wouldn't consider them "temporary" aside from the fact that you can move them around easily. If you're looking for a "temporary" shelter that you could later use long-term in other situations, then they're a great investment. But if you'd have to store them they're not so great because they take up a lot of room. I mean, they're stackable so three will only take up as much room as one, but one PolyDome is like 7 feet in diameter.

·
14,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all of the suggestions, you guys are awesome! I will definitely look over our options.

I use PolyDome calf hutches. They're not exactly cheap, but they last forever. But for eight goats you'd need like 3 of them. With six goats you could probably get away with just two. But you can't collapse them so I wouldn't consider them "temporary" aside from the fact that you can move them around easily. If you're looking for a "temporary" shelter that you could later use long-term in other situations, then they're a great investment. But if you'd have to store them they're not so great because they take up a lot of room. I mean, they're stackable so three will only take up as much room as one, but one PolyDome is like 7 feet in diameter.
Thanks! I appreciate it! I will share this with my husband and get his thoughts. The only reason I had mentioned temporary was because I don't know if it would stay where we'd put it long term. I do like the Poly Dome's/calf hutches. The only thing that would be complicated is if we had rainy days where they would need to have hay. I was hoping to get them a V shaped feeder like we have for the bucklings.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
You can actually buy hay feeders to install on PolyDomes. I have hay feeders on two of mine and they were very easy to install and are very easy to use. You just drill some holes in the PolyDome and bolt these onto the side.

You have to cut holes in the side of the PolyDome so the goats can get to the hay. The feeders come with a template to make it all very simple. All you need is a marker, a power drill, and a sawzall.

The one down-side to having feeders on the side is that if you ever want to store away the PolyDomes, you'd have to remove the feeders before you could stack them for storage. Still, it's not a big deal to remove them since they just bolt on. Also, the domes don't roll as well with the feeders so it's not quite as easy to move them by yourself, but again not a huge deal. I just love that I can move them by myself at all! I can't do that with any other type of shelter. I also love that they are practically indestructible. I did put a nasty slice across the side of one with my tractor bucket one time, and I just called the guy I bought the domes from and he sent me some plastic patches that I bolted over the crack. Very easy repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.