Temps finally moderate

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dvfreelancer, Jan 11, 2010.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    It was a tough stretch but we got through the brutal cold. Temps back in the 50's the rest of the week.

The team is going to get a rude surprise when it warms up. They were getting really used to grain twice a day, buckets of warm water, and high calories treats all delivered by room service. They're laying out in the yard by the hay rack, all of them a few pounds heavier, sides bulging from all the extra food. Now that it warmed up, it's back to once a day feeding and they can go back to foraging part of the day. :leap:

I thought sure we'd lose all the babies, but the three that died early on were the only casualties. Seven made it, plus the two we're bottle feeding. That I know of. Might be a couple more out in the pasture somewhere. Could have been a lot worse and that'll be end of the winter babies.

Weird thing, 6 of the 9 are males. Highest male ratio ever. Our nannies tend to drop girls, but the odds caught up with us this time. The bander is going to get a lot of workout in a couple months.

This place is easily 5x more work when everything is frozen.

Being goat parents is cute for about a week, then it starts getting old, a few days later you start dreaming about stew made from bottle fed goat babies.

This stretch finally did it. I'm ready to cash in the hobby farm. Gave it a good run, going on 6 years, so it's not a decision I reached overnight. It just never ends. I'll miss the goats, definitely miss the chickens and the lake (here are some background clips we shot for the fishing show promo http://www.dangercollie.com/fishing2.html). Probably what I'll miss most is having hormone and antibiotic free meat that's lean and natural, fresh eggs every morning from free range chickens and catfish fillets whenever I feel like walking down to the pond with a piece of chicken liver. Time to go.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Are you selling your entire farm? :?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont mind the work as long as I could just do that all the time -- its worth ti though come show time :)

I just prayed a prayer -- Lord I need a hubby real bad so I dont have to go to work, I work enough at home!!

It aint a hobby if you dont enjoy it so if its stop being enjoyable I can understand selling

4. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Yup. Not only the entire farm but most of our stuff too. I'm keeping my camera gear, some clothes, some of the tools. Everything else is going. We'll keep a few of the bigger pieces in storage until we figure out where we want to build a new house.

We don't have kids (human kids), there's nothing keeping us here and little desirable about the area from our standpoint. We bought this place in foreclosure and have spent a lot of time fixing it up. It's a dream home for people who like this area. And I can thank the goats for getting the property in shape. When the time comes I'll find them a good new home.

I'll miss the goats and the fire department, for entirely different reasons. It really is fun flying down the road, lights and siren, in the fire engine. Remember when you were a kid playing with fire engines? Kind of like that but 100x more fun. Lot of the fun goes out of it when you get there, but the trip is a riot. I'm getting too old to be crawling through burning trailers, showered with exploding cans of creamed corn, constantly worrying about stepping on down power lines or getting run over by one of the vehicles. One time we came out of a shop fire and the owner says he forgot to mention he had a couple bottles of nitrous in there from an old race car he used to run. Thanks for the 411 there, skippy. Having date night interrupted by a heart attack and spending the next three hours trading off CPR with the ambulance attendants. That's a kid's game.

So it's a lot of things. And doing it full time wouldn't make it any better. It would still be here. Time to let go, plug back in to civilization and rejoin life, already in progress.

But it may not be soon. Houses are slow to sell out here. I may be annoying you all for another year to year and a half while the house is on the market. Even if we got an offer the first week, it might still be June before we could get all the paperwork wrapped up and get outta here.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WOW.... It is very hard to enjoy what you have worked hard to improve when you have so much other stuff going on. I hope your prayers are answered soon and that you can look forward to your new home and be able to relax enough to enjoy it. :hug: