The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I read the more freaked out I get so, to ease my mind, what are the top 10 "medicines" you'd NEVER be without for emergency situations? I got my 1st 3 goats a week ago (a 10 day old today pygmy doe, an 8wk old fainting doe, & a 4yo pygmy wether). Everything is fine & everyone is, so far, healthy & happy...but now is the time to stock up IMHO, before an emergency arises so I'm looking for cures for common things according to their ages. We always have baking soda, pepto & baby oil..I've read some things about powdered tide laundry detergent, etc. I'm 1 of those ppl that would rather have & not need than need & not have so what would you never do w/o?

If it matters, they are in a 78x63' pen w/lots of grass, trees & browse, I spot clean their shed (4x8') every other day, fully clean once a week & plan to do a full clean w/bleach water every other week starting next week (I've only had them 10 days...) so cleanliness shouldn't be an issue (also, the 10day old is obviously not out there full time, she doesn't even sleep out there until this coming Sun, she only has supervised visits during the day so right now there's "technically" only 2 out there full time & Chloe, the 8wk old spends 98% of her time in the yard, she seems completely uninterested in the shed until bed time). Anything else I can do to help NOT have issues, rather than treat after they arise? They also get probios daily & have free-choice Manta Pro minerals...

Thanks for any input! These are my 1st goats & I'll never forgive myself if anything goes wrong..I know "ish" happens but it can't w/my 1st 3! lol..just read about tetnus & it made me want to puke! lol :thankU:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Banamine, B complex, CD Antitoxin, LA 200, probios, activated charcoal, Penn G, nutri drench, baking soda, electrolytes

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
CD antitoxin, penG, high level B-complex, BoSe, probios, nutradrench, scour stop, LA 200, thiamine, and baycox would be a good start.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. I'll start shopping! Thanks guys! I know you can never be ready for EVERYTHING but every little bit helps!

·
8,071 Posts
If your vet will work with you, Ephidrine for Anaphylactic Shock to medications. (if you gave a cd+t shot and your goat had a bad reaction, you would give the
Ephidrine.) Unfortunately, it is prescription only. The reactions are rare, but it is good to have on hand.

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
I'd rather spend the little more and get Biomycin, which doesn't sting like LA200. Also a bottle of SMZ-TMZ tablets, good for scouring, bacterial infections, and mild pneumonia. A very good sulfa drug to have on hand.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
*CD Antitoxin: Saved several kids this year, after they drank from a doe who was herbally medicated for mastitis. I was told it was safe for nursing kids, but the kids became ill. The CD Antitoxin made an IMMEDIATE difference right after I gave it. Great stuff, will never be without it now.

*Activated Charcoal: Something I learned about on here and talked my mom into buying, "Just in case." Turned out, our horses got very serious horsenettle poisoning. The activated charcoal made a difference immediately as well. With azaleas and other "pretty but deadly" plants around, I don't want to be without it. Can also be used in a pinch as a substitute for the CD Antitoxin, as it binds toxins in the gut.

*Probios: For any upset tummy, after medication, when you don't know exactly what's wrong. You can never go wrong giving Probios.

*Nu Stock: Also leared of this on here. Thus far, I have used Nu Stock successfully to treat mites, rain scald, hoof rot, proud flesh (in horses), infected bug bites (horses again), burns (my sister actually), and to soothe the itching of ant bites (myself. Half the ant bites were gone by morning after I applied for the night).

*Banamine: The miracle pain-releif drug.

*Sulmet: Or another similar Coccidia treatment. I like having it on hand just in case, as coccidia can do damage pretty quickly.

*Equisect: Rid our herd of lice when Ivermectin didn't completely work. Natural based, very effective. Also kills the eggs.

*Molasses: A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down. It is also amazing what warm molasses water does for the exhausted/stressed goat.

*Immune Support: From Molly's Herbal (have been happy with all of her products). Supports the immune system in stressful times.

*Iodine: For wounds and staph infections.

*Ammonium Chloride: Prevents and helps treat Urinary Calculi.

*Molly's herbal #1 worm formula: This formula worked for some wormy does I brought home, that chemical wormer didn't touch. The worms do not grow resistant to it. Not safe for pregnant does, but everyone else gets it.

Oh, did you say ten? ;)

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
wow..lots of good stuff on here...heres my list of ten

C D antitoxin
Thiamine
Nuflor
Tylan 200 or Biomycin
fortified B complex
Banamine
Baycox ( for cocci)
Neomycin
Pen G
Probiotics
Pepto and MOM
a small box of tide ( for frothy bloat)
baking soda

opps I went over ten :eek:

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I was just thinking of posting the same question! So far, we just get stuff from the vet when we need it, but now I want to have things on hand, and be ready for emergancies. You never know when the vet might not be able to make it, or you just have to do something fast for a down goat. Now I'm wishing I had ordered more. I got what I was sort of guessing from what I've read on here what I thought to be the essentials: BoSe, Nuti-drench, Kid Kare concentrate, Dimethox (prevention treatment for our next round of kids), C D antitoxin, and more of the dewormer that I last used, since it seems to have worked well. I think that's all the important stuff, I would ha to look again to be sure. Oh, and a leg snare, for kidding issues. (You never know)
Does this sound pretty good, or is there another important thing I need?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
You sound like you have a great start, Sarah. The medicine cabinet always accumulates over time. :laugh:

I need to add one more thing: Calcium drench. One of my does was shivery after delivering this year, the Calcium drench cleared that up in a jiffy. Also seemed to make a big difference in the strength of the pushes this year.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
You sound like you have a great start, Sarah. The medicine cabinet always accumulates over time. :laugh:

I need to add one more thing: Calcium drench. One of my does was shivery after delivering this year, the Calcium drench cleared that up in a jiffy. Also seemed to make a big difference in the strength of the pushes this year.
+1 on Calcium. I like CMPK+D3 and injectable calcium

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Sarah, get the black strap molasses if they have it.....has more good stuff still left in it : )

·
1,524 Posts
Dexamethasone
Oxytocin
BO-SE
antibiotics(injectable) Pennicillin and at least 1 other
Lutelyase
Banamine
Cocci prevention/treatment meds
epinepherine
Vitamine B complex/Thiamine
sulfa boluses