tennessee fainting goats???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ohiogoatgirl, Feb 9, 2011.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i just found an ad for ten. fainting goats and was wondering what everyone's opinions are of the breed. are they a dairy or meat breed? i'm going to research them after i post this but i was wondering everyone's opinions.
    thanks!

2. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    They are meat goats though smaller than the boers and kikos. I do not know much about them.

3. Springbett Farm

Springbett Farm Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Nebraska
    Meat goats, but most people I know have them as unusal pets or for showing. I have 10 (not for sale lol) standard and mini fainters. I just adore them and they DON'T jump fences. Yay! I had pygmies before and (sorry pygmy owners.. no offense, but) I like the fainters better. Mine are very docile- though not always toward each other- I can take my 4 year old with me to feed and not be worried someone is going to knock him down on purpose. Mind you, I always keep my son right by me and watch him like a hawk. I had a pygmy queen that went after my boy if she could.

4. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    ya i've been thinking about getting a pygmy for my mom but i'm nervous of temperment... becuase we've never had any. so i was also thinking about maybe a tenn.fainter for her... not sure yet...
    all of what i've found so far says they are very nice and seem to have the least fence problems of all the breeds... hm.....

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wish I could tell you more about them...but.... I don't know...we do have some breeders here on TGS ....that do breed and raise them....very nice animals and they are very happy with them..... :wink:

6. Hush Hills Fainters

Hush Hills Fainters New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    I love my Fainters!!!! They are a meat goat but I raise and sale for pet/show. For the most part the are very docile...I have 7 does , 2 bucks and 5 (2 week old kids). We have them with the Nigi's and they all seem to tollerate each other just fine. Mine dont climb and are pretty easy to catch...they are a great addition to any farm.

7. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    the websites i've found so far say they have "more milk to feed their kids" or something similar so i thought maybe they were good for meat and had pretty good milk production... maybe like a "dual-purpose" breed or something... so does anyone know how good the breed is as far as milk production?

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have a small herd of them and I love them - they are so much fun! I did milk out one a little and they do seem to have alot larger udder than, say the boers. I was quite impressed. I did not milk her long - was just getting colostrum to save for this year from her in case - and to get a little milk to help a baby that was having a hard time in the beginning. I am not sure any more than that - sorry