Terrible accident

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    This afternoon, I found Luna flipped upside down and stuck in a place I would never have believed a goat could get stuck in. She had passed away.

I feel completely at fault for not realizing this could have happened and I am sick to my stomach and ashamed. I was so happy to get her and was really looking forward to maybe showing and breeding her in the future. She was the only registered goat we have out of our four, now three.

I helped husband bury her and have been crying since. I feel like throwing up and am horrified. He said it was just a freak accident and I wasn't to blame, but I feel completely at fault. I'm really second guessing having goats if I could let such a terrible thing happen. I can only imagine how much she must have suffered before passing away.

I don't know what to do now.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry for your loss, that is just horrible :( :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thats the thing about freak accidents, they just happen so unexpectedly.. This summer my brother lost one of his best doelings because she accidently hung herself in the hayfeeder.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm a so sorry for you, accidents do happen and this tragedy was an awful one to have occur. It is not your fault. :hug:

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oh I'm so sorry, it's awful. But really, you couldnt have forseen that it would happen. It's not your fault.

:hug:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry for your loss.

Honestly, I can say, you can not blame yourself. Accidents will happen, even to the ones that we put in a bubble trying to protect them - they will find something. We, as parents, (to goaties or human kids) can only do our best and try to protect them from what we can.

I know that it hurts (trust me I have felt the SAME exact thing on more then one occassion). Just know that we are all here for you. :hug: :grouphug: :hug: :grouphug: :hug: :grouphug:

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you all for your kind words. I just feel SO horrible about what happened. It's so hard to realize I won't be able to play tag with her tomorrow or scratch her head. :(

I feel like crying all over again, but I do feel better that you are all so understanding. I am glad I have all of you.

7. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Don't feel bad. Sometimes things like that happen. :hug: Atleast there won't be any 'next' goat to get stuck there.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh gosh, i'm so sorry. :hug: That is so sad. Don't beat yourself up. It wasn't your fault. I have had some of those terrible accidents and the best thing I can do is think there was a reason for it even though you feel aweful. I will send some good thoughts and prayers, so sorry for your loss. :hug:

9. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Oh my heart breaks for you-I am so sorry for your loss. Many :hug: for you and family, and of course your other goats.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, gosh. I am so sorry! It is true that accidents happen no matter how careful we are with our babies. I'm still so sorry. Please don't blame yourself. :hug: We've lost goats too due to freak accidents. . . .

11. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks again guys, it does help a little to know I'm not the only one who feels this way and has had bad stuff happen. And you are right, there won't be a "next" goat, we fixed the problem immediately. I just wish it hadn't have happened and I wish I didn't feel so bad.

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I felt horrible when Spice got her leg stuck and just about broke it on a chair that I left in the paddock. I thought it was safe to.

So, these things happen all the time. Try not to beat yourself up too much. :hug: :hug: :hug: Go give your other goaties a big old HUG! :grouphug:

13. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Sorry for your loss :(...and I agree totally with everyone else....this was not your fault. Sometimes this stuff just happens...there's no way you could have predicted it. :hug:

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so so so sorry about this. it does happen and YES it does hurt and it will hurt for a bit, but just remember that you gave the best home she had while you had her and she did know that you loved her so very much.
    We lost a buck last year, because he jumped on the water tank and drown. I thought I was going to lose it but I new that the lord did it for some reason. I prayed to him and asked him why and I really felt like he wrapped his arms around me and told me that life is not always easy. Sometime they are here for just a bit and then the lord takes him with him.

I am so sorry and yes we all go thought that "should I quit doing these goat?" Then I go out and play with the other goats that needed me and I new YES I needed to be here for them.

15. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Yes you are right. I could never give up Uno and Hope, or even smelly ol' Buckly. I am devastated over the loss but there is nothing left to do but move on. I am looking at some cute little Nigerian mixes for a real good deal so who knows . . .

Thank you all again for your support, it really helps. :hug:

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    If it makes you feel any better, I bought a boer doe for $2000, the best doe I had out of all of my goats, I had her for two months, I left a collar on her and found her dead one morning - she had hung herself on the tree in her pen.

I also dropped a large square bale (500kg) on top of a $5000 doe at work.

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry Epona142.....all accidents are horrible... :hug: :(

wow keren, I am so sorry all that happened to you...that is awful :hug: :(

18. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Oh my goodness, I am sorry to hear this news. Accidents happen just part of life I am sorry to say. But I am so so sorry for you. :hug:

19. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Well, you know, the very fact that you feel so very bad shows just how good a goat mom you are. Luna was so lucky to have you.
    Here is a politically incorrect hug :hug: