Terrible Dream

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Jul 20, 2009.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I had the most terrible dream last night. Scared me so bad. I dreamt that Claribelle had a really bad case of bloat and was just about close to death. I couldn't remember how to treat bloat and couldn't find my meds! Sheesh. I was so glad to wake up and realize it was only a dream.

Just to check my real memory. If a doe has a case of bloat, do you treat with baking soda, MOM, and what else? I've never dealt with it but now want to be sure I know what to do.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup baking soda and you also want to massage their stomach to get things moving if you can.

Sometimes a tube is needed to be put down into her rumen to relieve some of the gas

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others. :wink:

..I am so sorry... you had a nightmare like that....it must of been horrible.... :( :hug:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    vegetable oil and not mineral oil. I hear different opinions, but it seems vegetable oil is safer.

6. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Ugh! How strange. I took a nap today and had a horrific dream about my kids being torn apart by dogs.

:(

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I think when it boils down to it, people have used both successfully, its a matter of what you have on hand. I have vege oil, so I've used that.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, thanks everyone. I have both vegatable and mineral oil, so that's good. I'm actually kind of surprised that we haven't had a case of bloat (we've had goats 4 1/2 yrs. now) but it's good to know what to do.

Yikes, that is a scary dream too! I hate it when they seem so very real. . . but then am so thankful to wake up and have it not be.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    shouldnt you also give cd antitoxin? or is that for something else?