Terrible Nubian Kidding

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Farmer Gab, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    I just wrote out a LONG post and the something happened and it was gone..... :hair:

I guess I will just summarize.

New to kidding.
    No goat owners in our area.
    Two does.
    Dahlia aborted last year - moldy straw.
    Sweet Pea kidded one male last year while we weren't home with zero complications.
    Dahlia went into labor yesterday.
    Ears started to come out.
    Didn't know if that was okay - Nubians :oops:
    Called neighbor who has horses and she came over
    Called breeder and vet - they said to get in there and get kid out.
    I think they knew it was dead.
    Dahlia's pelvis/cervis was sooooo tight I had to really work to get in there.
    Struggled to get kid out, but did. Little black doeling - exactly what I had wanted. :tears:
    Vet said to give Dahlia oxytocin and penicillin.
    No sign of placenta - but she could have passed it in the night.
    Vet and breeder said I might have to go back in to check for more kids.
    Dahlia is SOOOOOOOOO swollen at the entrance to her vagina (looks like a donut) that I just didn't want to put her through anymore pain.
    She is walking around now this morning.
    So, please tell me what I did wrong. What could I have done when I saw the ears? Was the kid even alive then? What should I do now? I know I screwed up, but I really want to learn so I don't do it again. I feel terrible about the whole thing.

Thanks,

Gabrielle
    Flagstaff, Arizona

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first off you need a big :hug:

Welcome to The Goat Spot :wave:

Sounds like she was in labor for a while and the kid was stuck. Its head was probably tucked wrong making it so the head couldn't fit through the birth canal. I am so sorry you lost the little doeling :tears: sometimes you can save them other times you cant. If you get there in time and she is pushing for longer then 30 minutes you have to get in and assist as the kid is probably positioned wrong. Normal position is front legs first, nose and then head.

As to the doe right now can you bump her to see if she has any kids in her? What you need to do is stand behind the doe. Wrap your arms around her belly near her udder and interlace your fingers, firmly push up in a quick motion. If you feel something hard there is a kid still in there. If it is all squishy then she is done.

keep up the penicillin for 5 days.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry :grouphug:

You can not blame yourself for this. It sounds like she has a very hard time with kidding.

It is possible that the kid was already "gone" when you saw the ears. More then likely the front hooves were tucked under, as you should see the hooves first and then the nose.

I have never been there when my goats have kidded - so I really don't know - but (and sorry if someone doesn't agree with me) nature has a way of taking charge in some instances.

I personally would not breed this girl again - unless you are completely sure of when she was bred, what her due date is and can be around from day 145-155 in case something weird happens again. Typically when there is a single kid - they are very big and it is very hard on the dam.

Again - I am so sorry - and I hope the best for you all!

Allison

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'm so sorry for you. I know you really wanted that little doeling. At least Dahlia is doing ok. I hope she continues to recover. If she'd aborted last year and had so much trouble this year then she may not be one to breed again. Sounds to me like she's very small vaginally. How far along was she when she aborted?

I do hope you're able to get a healthy normal kidding again soon. :grouphug:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH HUN, :hug: To you and Dahlia.

First of all IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE. Even if we kid out for years.
    First of all. Make sure she is ok. I would offer her some molasses water. Just get some fresh water and put some regular molasses in it. It should be a light brown. Get her some energy after what she went thought. If that was MY doe I would go in and make she you do not have any more in there. I have done the bouncing before and I did not feel anything left. Well later I decided to go in and I had a baby stuck in the pelvis and that is why I could not feel it. Now for the was she looks, that is pretty normal after delivering babies.

As for seeing the ears. If that ever happens again, you have to scrub up, lube up and go into mom. I push the baby back in the pelvis and get the front legs and make sure the head ois facing the right directions and pull with the contractions.

I just want you to know that it was NOT your fault and it happens to everyone I do not care who it is or how long they have had goats.
    I am so glad you are here with us but I am sorry that tis is how we had to meet you.

But I would love to welcome you here :wave: :wave:

6. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thank you so much for all of your kind words! I am feeling better today. I do recognize that loss is also a part of farming, but I guess I just wasn't prepared for it the other day. Now, I will be better prepared for Sweet Pea to kid soon.....well, I sure hope I will be! Thanks again!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oo another kidding what fun! :cool:

Hopefully you will have some bouncing babies to help heal your heart :love:

of course we are here to help if you have questions and most certainly for you to brag to :D

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am so sorry, for both you and Dahlia. But the new kids should put a smile on your face.

I hope she goes soon for you!!

:hug: