Test results are in...now what?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 1_goat_2_many, Sep 25, 2010.

1. 1_goat_2_many

1_goat_2_many New Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Finally got my test results from bio tracking today. Good news and bad news. My nubian buck and 2 lamancha does are CAE negative. But my nubian doe that was supposed to be bred came back open AND cae positive. Now, i could just breed her to my buck and pull the kids but is that really worth it? She is already proven in the show ring and is a nice doe, though not the friendliest. Can she be in with the other does or does she need to be separated? She's been with them since i got her in august. Also, the does are penned right next to my buck and this doe has never shown interest in the buck or evidence of coming into heat which is why i thought she was bred. Both the la manchas let me know when they are in heat.

I guess what i really need are your opinions on keeping a CAE positive doe. This is my first year with dairy goats. We never worried about it with the boers.

This is the positive doe.
    [​IMG]
    And my buck....
    [​IMG]
    And the la manchas just because they like everyone to see how pretty they are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if she has a pedigree that you want to keep going then yes you can breed her and pull the kids at birth and bottle feed milk from a negative doe or cows milk.

Im sorry she came up positive, but its not the end of the world. CAE isnt transmitted through breeding and is rarely passed from one goat to another other then then the milk from mom to kids.

3. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You might want to retest in 30 days just to be sure. I know it may be rare to be passed from one goat to another other than in milk, but if you can separate her in the meantime it would be safer for your other does. Rare isn't never. The virus can be in fluids generally. It can be passed through a buck in breeding, although that also is rare.

Lots of people successfully pull the kids and bottle feed them. They don't even let the doe lick them at all. I know several people who do this to be safer even though they have CAE negative herds. You can feed the kids her milk if you heat treat the colostrum and pasteurize the milk.

Jan