Test results--UPDATED GOOD NEWS!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by GoatJoy, Oct 24, 2011.

1. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx
    I sent off some labs and got the results in today and I'm flabbergasted to say the least. Almost all of my does are CAE pos. and one doe was CL pos. :( The doe I suspected Johnes with was neg. so that was good, but now what to do? :ponder: The CL pos doe is my best doe. :GAAH: Any tips or encouraging words are very, very welcome right now! :grouphug:
    Thanks!!

2. Goat Song

Goat Song Senior Member who ain't so Senior

May 4, 2011
    Oregon
    Re: Test results

what lab did you send those blood samples to? You might think about sending in another set of samples. The folks at the lab will tell you themselves that mistakes are sometimes made, and they recommend doing another test round if you get positives.

Keep your chin up. :hug: We're here for ya'.

3. Re: Test results

:hug:
    :grouphug:
    So sorry.
    I agree I would send in another batch of samples possibly to a different lab. For now assume that they are correct.

How long have you had the CL+ doe? Does she have any abcesses? I would isolate her in a area that can be well cleaned if she is new addition. If she has been there a while might she have had any abcesses open? Does she ever cough?

Are any of the CAE does in milk now? Have they been in milk on the property?
    :hug:

4. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado

Can you keep all of the goats and just raise the kids on a CAE prevention and build a separate pen to keep the kids in? I'm so sorry that happened :(

5. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland

Oh I'm sorry.
    Is this the first time you tested them?
    I'd also need to sent the results again, just in case.

6. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx

Well I sent to two different labs. I sent a bunch to Bio Tracking cause I wanted pregnancy tests and I added the CAE on there. Then I sent the Johnes test and the CL test to WADDL. I guess I could have done the pregnancy test at WADDL but I just now thought of that :slapfloor: Oh boy that sounds just like me...always got to do things the hard way!

Anyway this was the first time I've sent labs off. Only one of my does that I tested was neg for CAE. But I'm going to test the rest very soon.

7. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx

Yes, she does cough, but they all just recently went through a bad cough. I had one die from pnumonia, but I wasn't expecting her to live very long. She was very small and had a low immune system...anyway they weren't related or anything but I figured her cough was due to the cold everyone is just now getting over. Oh man I hope it's not in her lungs..I do realize it's a dire possibility. I sure hope not though.. I really, really love her. I mean I would just be devistated if I had to put her down. Is there any way to tell if it's in her lungs other than culling her and having the vet dissect her?

8. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx

Ok, I may just do that. Thank you!

9. Re: Test results

both are good labs IMO.
    WADDL does not do pregnancy tests but BioTracking will take your samples to WADDL after they do their tests if you ask ahead of time. (Never done this but the nice lady there said they are real close and don't mind.)

BioTracking actually gives you CAE numbers right? Were the numbers in which of their ranges?

10. Re: Test results

I am not sure if they can test to see if its in the lungs unless postmortem.

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

The positive CL test can be from vaccination.

I would retest everyone for cae and everyone for CL.

The doe you are suspecting Johnes, the only accurate test is a fecal PCR.

12. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx

Oh ok, that's good to know!

I will be getting my hard copy in the mail soon. I was just read the results over the phone today...something like "This goat is pos, this goat is neg" is what she said. So I'm not sure about the levels. But my CL pos goat had the highest level.. Im about to email the former owner and ask her if she was vaccinated for CL. I'm sorta dreading it. ..she's rather young and is in 4h.

13. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx

Oh dear, why do they have these tests if they aren't accurate? :GAAH:

14. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

I'm so sorry to hear this Laura =(
    I imagine you're feeling what I felt the first time I tested!

For now, until you retest, if you can I would separate into three different pens; Neg, CAE pos, and CL&CAE pos.

What you CAN do is pull kids at birth and raise on CAE prevention. That is what I am doing and it is going successful thus far. We cull diseased animals until the herd in clean. Until then we maintain two different herds.

I disagree about the Johnes tests. My friend has spoken with numerous labs across the US and the concensus is that using BOTH ELISA blood & PCR Johnes tests is the best, as sometimes it won't show up on one test and will on the other, based on immune systems & progress of the bacteria.

Sorry again about the results =(

15. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx

GOOD NEWS!! I contacted the former owner of the CL pos doe.. She WAS given a CL vaccination...She also is sending me a copy of the test that was done on her for CAE on her colostrum that had a negative result. I have her daughter too and I hadn't tested her for CL, but she did test pos for CAE..anyway they were both given the vaccination so I'm really relieved about that. I really do trust the girl I bought them from so I'm super, super relieved!! Now with the CAE results she was surprised because she bought them only after seeing they had been cleared of CAE through that colostrum test. Has anyone heard of the colostrum test? Is that more accurate? I was also told that being recently bred will create a false pos on CAE. :ponder:

16. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx

Yes that's what we were planning to do as well. My husband is outside building another pen. Thanks, I will try both tests for the Johnes.

17. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I hope the next results come out negative!
    Interesting. I have also heard that being pregnant can cause a false negative, so don't test till, um, 2 months after kidding? Something like that. :shrug:

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Glad to hear about the vaccinatin.
    Is it possible the doeling nursed on another CAE+ doe and got it that way?
    I've never heard about the test results altering after being bred; the text is very accurate. Most mistakes are lap errors of the human variety.

20. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    You can actually get lots of false positives and false negatives in both CAE and CL tests. That is why I feel it is good to wait until you have several negative tests to be sure they are CAE neg, and just always be on the look out for abcesses popping up. I have heard the most accurate CL test is testing the pus of an active abscess, otherwise they often will test negative on a blood test, especially if they don't have an active case of it at the time. Lots of things can give false positives on CAE tests such as recent vaccinations, stress, and illness. Always good to retest. I think the higher the titer though the less likely it is a false positive...