The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate the quick response and advice I have received. This is only my second day with Gimpy. I rescued him and took him to the vet yesterday for an injured neck. He is 8 months old and we are building a pen and planning to keep him as a pet.

Unfortunately, one of his testicles is not descended. I want to have him wethered (?) I know this makes the procedure more complicated. Anyone have experience with this? Advice?

·
Registered
31,024 Posts
It will need to be done surgically.. you cant band him since the band wont get both testes he will still be a buck..the surgery can be a bit steep...I would look for a vet that works with goats or even sheep...It is important to have this done since he is a pet..this also is not a quality to pass to offspring....

·
Registered
507 Posts
My daughter has this issue with one of her 4-H market boer goats. I took him to the vet, and the vet could not feel it anywhere either. The vet recommended we just go ahead and band the one testicle, since he is a "terminal" animal, and not incur the expense of surgery. Our wether is almost five months old now, has a slight bucky smell, and will extend himself and spray when he is around does, or just because he feels like it! I will definitely be glad when fair comes and he is sold. Its icky :).

In your case however, if you are keeping him, you definitely should do the surgery. It will be well worth it.

·
Super Moderator
59,221 Posts
Depending on where the testicle is, it could be no big deal at all. He will need surgery to remove the testicles but it is a pretty minor procedure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts