The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new doe and kid (not hers) and the current owner didn't test for cae or cl. The farm she was born at did test, was clean and very reputable. The woman had a closed herd, she bought her starter does and buck from the same farm and didn't bring in any others. I feel confident that the doe I bought is clean, but I 'd like to send in bloodwork during her quarantine. I looked at WADDL, Biotracking only does CAE and I also saw Pan American Vet Labs. They test for everything and the fees seem reasonable. Has anyone used this place before? Thanks

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i have used waddl who tests for everything.. they test on wednesdays so your samples need to be there by tuesday. their fees seem reasonable to me 19.50 for the first test 9.50 per test afterthat.. i have never used pan american vet labs, but if they are cheaper and faster go for it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i almost used PAV Lab myself, since its SO MUCH CHEAPER! $3 a test. give me a break. but after looking at the reviews...Not worth it. sometimes its a yes,no,maybe, and then you gotta spend more money at WADDL or another place to back up the first test.

·
Registered
504 Posts
how does the whole WADDL thing work? I live in Ohio and would like to have my goats tested for CL and CAE and possible Johnes

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am having someone from a local farm come show me how to draw blood and then I'll ship the samples out. It cost way too much to have the vet come the last time

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
you draw blood into red top test tubes send to waddl they have to be there by tuesday to test wednesday or they will wait a week. you will need to go to their website to download the accsesion form. fill that out and send with the samples. they will bill you for the tests when they send the results. if you are unsure call them , they are really nice and will walk you through the paperwork.

·
1,524 Posts
Personally I use Biotracking. I do it in the fall and have a pregnancy test done for a couple of bucks more. It's 4.00 for the CAE and an extra 5 for the pregnancy, I've had the best luck with them. They are great to deal with also.

I don't test for CL. To me its a waste of time. If a goat has been vaccinated for it, it will test positive and not have it. I would prefer to have an abscess lanced and have the pus tested, that is accurate. Blood is not, it just shows antibodies for it. I have never had an abscess on a goat, so I have never had to test.

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The people around me are really big on testing for CAE and CL, so the first few times I'll test for both. I do like the idea of adding in the pregnancy test with biotracking.

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sent the bloodwork to WADDL....called today since I am too impatient to wait for the mail. Both new does are CAE and CL negative! Woohoo.....quarantine over :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts