testing for CAE... how do i draw blood?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sdshoars, Apr 10, 2009.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    i see you can send samples to a lab, but i have no idea how to draw blood from a goat? anyone want to elaborate on how to do this? thanks guys!

2. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I would like to know too.....and where do I get everything to do the blood draw with? Maybe there's a good video on Youtube on how to draw the blood.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Here is a pictorial guide, http://goatconnection.com/articles/publ ... _151.shtml. You can get red topped tubes from your vet, and I just use regular syringes and 1/2 inch needles. Most people use 1 in. but I do way better with the 1/2, seems like I just go straight through the vein with the 1 inch. And I don't shave the area, but it might be helpful on your first one so you can see what your going for.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I draw blood. I shave the area so that I only need to stick once or twice. ;) I use anything from a 1/2 inch to a 1 1/2 inch needle. Really it's whatever I can get my hands on. I like a 20 gauge needle though. That way the hole isn't too big and the risk of a hemotoma isn't as high. It also hurts less with a smaller needle.

I put my finger on their neck to make the vein pop up. I feel it with my finger to make sure it's a vein and not muscle. Then I go straight in and not too slow. If you go slow then the vein may roll away from the needle and you will need to dig around for it or re-stick. If at any time the area where the needle is in starts to puff up pull the needle out! Put pressure out the site for a while to stop the bleeding.

You can get the red top tubes from your vet, or PBS livestock online. I get the 10cc tubes. That way I know I have enough blood for a accurate test result.

5. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Same here. :wink: